Geneforge Beta Update Released
9:28 AM | Andy Largent | Comment on this story
Spiderweb Software have released a beta 1.0.1 update application for their newest RPG, Geneforge. While not fully tested, they have good confidence that this version fixes a number of issues in the original game. The updated application works for both registered and demo versions of the game.
Version 1.0.1b fixes some exploits with creature creation, gameplay balance, and many other small issues. Here are some of the changes:
The Spiderweb site has the lowdown on all the changes, so be sure to head over there if you want to try the small (260 KB) update.
IMG Preview: Geneforge
- Several broken aspects of character creation fixed. The starting levels are now fixed and lower, and you get more skill points to spend. This prevents exploit where you could make a super-powerful character by moving all skill points to one particular skill.
- The terrain view now scrolls faster. In addition, there is a preferences option to change the terrain shift speed.
- There are now more different icons for pods, spores, and wands.
- Poison now does damage at half the speed it did before.
- It is now easier to start talking to people.
- There are several new keyboard shortcuts. They are listed in the Helpful Hints section of the in-game documentation.
- Player-created vlish, thahd, and battle alphas are stronger. Base costs for creations changed to be more in line with strength of creatures.
- Player creations now gain experience at a slightly slower rate.
- The error message when the game files to find a suitable screen resolution is now more helpful.
- The "avoid traps by starting combat" exploit has been corrected.
- The infinitely repeatable quest in the Kazg Plains can now only be completed once.
- Numerous balance corrections, minor bug fixes, typo corrections, etc.
Download Geneforge 1.0.1b Update
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, December 21, 2001
Thursday, December 20, 2001
Wednesday, December 19, 2001
Tuesday, December 18, 2001
Monday, December 17, 2001
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.