Macworld's 2001 Game Hall of Fame
6:00 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
Not content to honor games solely through its Eddy Awards, Macworld has also seen fit to further exalt the Mac gaming scene with its 2001 Game Hall of Fame.
The year 2001, as Macworld notes, has been one of pivotal change for the Mac gaming community, most notably because of the introduction of Mac OS X. This year has also seen a torrent of support for the Mac, with many developers, old and new, hopping on the Mac bandwagon and releasing A-list titles.
This year's Hall of Fame has been split into several categories, each one honoring a single game as its best:
- Best Online Game: Rogue Spear
- Best Third-Person Action Game: Oni
- Best God Game: Tropico
- Best Adventure Game: Escape From Monkey Island
- Best Extreme-Sports Game: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
- Best Old-School Arcade Game: Airburst
- Best Retro Game with a Twist: Space Tripper
- Best Strategy Game: Age of Empires II Gold Edition
- Best Expansion Pack: Diablo II Lord of Destruction
- Best First-Person Action Game: Aliens vs. Predator
Each winner includes a description and reasons for its selection, including "What's Cool" and "Who It's For." Undoubtedly the most evocative "What's Cool" belongs to Aliens vs. Predator:
What's Cool: Losing control of bodily functions when an Alien jumps out at you.IMG extends its congratulations to all the category winners. Be sure to check out the full list for more insight into Macworld's choices for this year.
MacWorld - 2001 Game Hall of Fame
Age of Empires II
Aliens vs. Predator: Gold
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Escape From Monkey Island
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
Buy Escape From Monkey Island
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, December 10, 2001
Friday, December 7, 2001
Thursday, December 6, 2001
Wednesday, December 5, 2001
Tuesday, December 4, 2001
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.