X-Plane Reaches Version 6.50
6:00 AM | Tim Morgan | Comment on this story
Prolific aviation-simulation developer Laminar Research has just finalized the latest update to their general-aviation flight simulator, X-Plane. The new version, 6.50, adds a number of user-requested features to the extensive simulator, as the website explains:
SceneryIn addition, version 6.50 includes a number of bugfixes. X-Plane is a very modular general-aviation simulator from Laminar Research, with a very great attention to detail and extensibility.
- FINALLY! You can easily exchange custom scenery in a single folder! There is now a "Custom Scenery" folder which contains as many causton folders as you like.
- New auto-gen type: FOREST... do MANY MORE TREES than possible with individual trees!
- REILs now have strobes.
- Some people got an uneasy feeling when half the cars on the road were cops or fire engines, sirens flashing... OK, now the emergency vehichles are more rare
- RIVERS AND STREAMS!
- Smoke from custom objects scales to the size... so cooling towers put out huge puffs, while little house chimneys put out less...
- Cumulus puffs at the top of the thermals to help glider pilots find those thermals!
Flight Model Improvements
- New afl format! Now you get raw columns of cl, cd, and cm for the entire range of -180 to 180 degrees!
- Total foil performance can now be set!
- Thanks to Yvves Cuttat we now have better control effectiveness accuracy and wing-stall and adverse yaw from sloppy control input espeicially at high-alpha.
- Better computation of Oswalds Efficiency for drag and lift reduction.. this increases accuracy in the lift and drag slopes and efficiencies.
- More accurate physics in the sideslip... The wing now has more induced drag thanks to a high effective span-loading.
- New improved reverse-flow over the airfoils for those tailslides, helos, and autogyros
- Enter the coeff of friction (rolling and max) for the tires in the landing gear section of Plane-Maker... get those friction coefficients perfect!
- Ridge-lift is better... It tops out at a height above the mountains, not a height you specify in the thermals screen.
- Go to the landing gear screen... you can now enter tghe SPRING CONSTANT for those nosehweels and tailwheels
that have a SPRING LINKAGE to the rudder command input from the pilot...
- Motorgliders with retractable props now possible!
- Engine and prop RPM modelled seperately now to get those auto-gyro pre-rotates, helo clutches, helo auto-rotations, and helo engine-failures with needle-split on the tach just right.
- Better mixture control... the airflow and fuel flow are both considered to get the EGT indications more accurate...
- Helo flight model improvements... more efficiency as the baldes mover forwards into undisturbed air on the advancing hald of the rotor system.
- You can specify which of each engine has a pylon.
- Better joystick support Mac OS-X... use more sticks and buttons and hat-switches.
- New asi mode: aircraft pitch to hold speed!
- Mixture on the turboprop is upper 25% for flight idle, lower 25% for shutoff, in the middle for ground idle.
- ADF needle parks at 90 deg when no station is tuned.
- 5000 logbook entries allowed (was 1000) and clear message to replace it when full (not scanning error).
- As alway: more UDP IO: fuel pump, starters, generators, and inverters.
- DME offset: DMEs now have an offset for some ILS DME uses.
- Runway headings adjusted slightly for round-earth... World-Maker and X-Plane should be perfectly in sync now.
- OBS now can control your heading to any GPS fix... select the OBS ANY panel instrument in plane-maker to get this.
- Set press and temp to english or metric independently to suit the wxr data you havce access to.
- Now you can specify what elements of what foils change incidence with thrust vector or even ailerons...
- World-Maker: You can enter the airport or navaid name to get to it quick now.
- Piston helo start is right.. there is a clutch you disengage for starting.
- Winch and tow hooks for gliders: Enter position in Plane-Maker.
- AI can now control the aircraft and the views seperately... they are both items in the Special menu.
Check out the new F-35 in the VTOL folder! Realistic lift fan and thrust-vectoring, just like the real plane... ONLY WITH X-PLANE! Not too bad!
- New instrument: Speed trend line... an arrow that points up or down on the efis asi to indicate acceleration.
- New button: Igniters. Leave them on for those turbopoprops if you want the engines running.
- New instrument panel option: General Aviation IFR
- New artificial horizon: electric. Now you can have both vacuum and electirc horizons, as well as vacuum DG's and electirc HSI's...
- You are no longer limited to getting the weather by radio at ATIS... now AWOS is avail as well!
- When you call for vectors to the tanker you get his heading and speed to help you plan your intercept.
X-Plane 6.50 Update
X-Plane 6.50 Demo/Full Version
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, December 20, 2002
Thursday, December 19, 2002
Wednesday, December 18, 2002
Tuesday, December 17, 2002
Monday, December 16, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.