|Monday, December 19, 2005
iDevGames Announces OMG Cup Finalists
7:55 AM | Andy Largent | 6 comments
The public voting round for iDevGames' newest programming competition, the OMG 2005 Cup, is finished and finalists have been announced. These six were chosen from the 36 total entries as being stand-out by the voters, and they will now be judged by an industry panel with the winner being announced at Macworld San Francisco next month.
Here is the list of final games:
1. Escort Wing (William Hogben, Stephen Johnson) 8.72Congratulations to the six finalists, and especially IMG's Matt Diamond, for making the cut. The winners are to receive a variety of prizes and cash, courtesy of Freeverse Software. To download these and the other games, head over to the OMG Cup download page now.
OMG 2005 Cup Finalists Announced
2. Nball (Matteo Guarnieri) 8.28
3. MacBornes (Alexandre Colucci) 8.27
4. Tracktor Beam (Will Thimbleby) 7.88
5. Pawns (Matt Diamond) 7.86
6. Pakimono (Joachim Ante, Aras Pranckevicius, Raimund Schumach) 7.81
OMG 2005 Cup Downloads
IMG Offers The Quad G5: First Impressions
10:52 AM | Tuncer Deniz | 16 comments
If you're in the market for a Power Mac Quad 2.5 GHz G5, then you'll want to check out our impressions of Apple's newest and hottest computer. Christian Franz shares his first impressions and some gaming benchmarks.
To check out the feature, please follow the link below.
IMG Feature: The Quad G5: First Impressions
Unity 1.2 To Add New Features
8:49 AM | Tuncer Deniz | 1 comment
OTEE has announced an upcoming update to Unity, the company's Mac-only high-end game development tool. Due this Christmas, Unity 1.2 promises to add full-screen graphics effects, workflow extensibility, and character-related features.
Here's the list:
Full-screen Graphics EffectsUnity 1.2 is a free upgrade for existing customers. An early adapter rebate is available. A free two-week trial can be downloaded from the website.
Unity already contains a top-notch graphics engine. Now there's even better use for it: we've added an easy-to-use framework for beautiful realtime full-screen graphics effects, utilizing the advanced shading engine.
We also added a handful of examples of these effects, all of them can be tuned and changed.
• Twirl effect
• Vortex effect
Unity delivers the best in end-to-end 3D content editing. Now the built-in tools can be extended, and new workflows added. User created wizards, context-menus, and commands can automate processes and repetitive tasks, and make editing complex games easier and more efficient.
Focusing on the needs of game developers, we added several seminal character-related features:
• A professional-grade 1st person (FPS) controller
• Tools to set up ragdolls
• Improved character animation support
Mac Version of Weird Worlds Confirmed
8:39 AM | Matt Diamond | 5 comments
Rich Carlson of Digital Eel just contacted Inside Mac Games with the following message:
Just wanted to let you know that the Mac version of Weird Worlds is in the making. Yay!Weird Worlds: Return To Infinite Space is Digital Eel's sequel to Strange Adventures In Infinite Space. The PC version is getting good reviews and it is currently a finalist at the Independent Games Festival in two categories (the Seumas McNally Grand Prize, and for Innovation In Audio.)
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space
Independent Games Festival 2006
Warcraft II: Tides Of Darkness Tenth Anniversary
7:55 AM | Cord Kruse | 4 comments
On Friday Blizzard Entertainment announced the ten year anniversary of Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness. The second in the Warcraft real time strategy series, Tides gave Blizzard its first number one bestseller and helped to establish the company as one of the most respected game developers in the industry.
Here are some of the game's features which were milestones for Blizzard :
- online play for up to eight players The Warcraft saga has continued with the successful Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion The Frozen Throne, as well as the world wide mega hit MMORPG World of Warcraft. Check out the links below for a walk down a lane called Memory in the fabled land of Azeroth.
10 Years of Warcraft II
- our first pre-rendered intro cinematic
- sea and air units in addition to land-based units
- highly detailed SVGA (640x480) graphics
- full 3D sound
- advanced AI and fog of war
- simultaneous command of up to 9 units
- a user-friendly map editor
Warcraft II Awards
Warcraft MP3 Player
7:55 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Blizzard Entertainment is now offering a web based Warcraft MP3 Player. The player features in-game music from the Warcraft series including tracks such as Arcane Echos, Orc 3, and Blackrock and Roll. Pop up windows must be enabled for the MP3 player to work.
Visit the World of Warcraft site to try the Warcraft MP3 Player.
World of Warcraft
Buy World of Warcraft
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, December 15, 2005
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Monday, December 12, 2005
Friday, December 9, 2005
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.