|Friday, September 5, 2003
Feral Announces Ghost Master for Mac
10:14 AM | Tuncer Deniz | Comment on this story
Feral Interactive today announced that it will be publishing Ghost Master for the Macintosh. Ghost Master is the strategy game with a difference – it turns the typical ghost story on its head. It lets you control a number of ghosts, gremlins and spectres, with one goal in mind – scaring humans.
Here's more from the official press release:
There are 15 scenarios, played in 11 fully 3-D environments, locations including the local police station, ‘haunted’ house, lunatic asylum and hospital. The more the game is played, the more locations will be revealed, along with new ghosts to command. The Macintosh version of Ghost Master is being ported by Zonic and will be released for Mac OS 9 and X on or before Halloween. IMG has posted a special first look preview of the game. Be sure to check it out.
IMG First Look: Ghost Master
Ghost Master boasts a true state-of-the-art AI engine; this means players will get a sense of natural human behaviour. The people in the game will go about their everyday lives– cooking, going to work, arguing with others… until they stumble upon the ghosts and horrors you control! After these encounters, they will become irrational, afraid, and sometimes even go mad! As well as horror, the game therefore contains an element of humour.
Addictive, full of humour and movie parodies, Ghost Master will release the fear factor inside of the folks you haunt… and reveal the fun factor inside of you.
Buy Ghost Master
Northland For The Mac Goes Gold
10:42 AM | Tuncer Deniz | Comment on this story
e.p.i.c. Interactive Entertainment today announced that its real-time strategy game, Northland for the Mac, has gone gold and is on its way to duplication. Here's more from the official press release:
Northland, which only very recently has been published for the PC, tells the story of Bjarni the Viking. The story begins where the plot of "Cultures 2 - The Gates of Asgard" ended. After perilous adventures our four heroes defeated the Midgard serpent and thus saved the world. A great celebration began and everyone was happy and content. Northland for the Macintosh can now be ordered directly from e.p.i.c.'s web site for EUR 39.99.
But only a very short time later the peace was disturbed by a call for help from their friend Hatschi. Hatschi's homeland was plagued by mysterious monstrous serpent creatures, which spread chaos and destruction through the country. Without hesitation Bjarni and Crya hurried to help him and stumbled right into a new adventure, in which the sly god Loki will play an important role...
• Stand-alone Adventure Strategy game.
• Single player campaign with 8 missions including several sub missions.
• The exciting plots tells the story of Viking God Loki who tried to take revenge on Godfather Odin for his banishment from Asgard to Earth. For that he abuses our four human heroes with his intrigues and traps.
• 8 additional free single player missions (non campaign).
• 3 difficulty levels to make the game fun for everybody from beginners to experts.
• Special effects like weather effects, fog, ghost units etc.
• Based on the enhanced technology of "Cultures 2 - The Gates of Asgard"; enhanced AI.
Macintosh System Requirements
• Min.: G3/350 Mhz, MacOS X or MacOS 9.x, 192 MB (OSX 128 MB) RAM
• Rec.: G4/700, MacOS 10.2.x, 256 MB RAM
Shadowbane Free Trial: Mac Version Now Available
10:16 AM | Johan Hansén | Comment on this story
Ubi Soft and Wolfpack Studios have updated their Shadowbane free trial page to include a downloadable Mac version of their popular MMORPG. While the old download worked for Macintosh as well, many Mac users had problems to the old download working. The new download is a hefty 580MB package that ends with the windows ".exe" suffix. Don't let this scare you, because the file will open with StuffitExpander.
From the free trial page:
Venture into the vigorous world of Shadowbane, a community rich in lore and seething with strife, and seize control of your destiny. Now you can download the full PC/Mac version of Shadowbane FREE and play at no cost for 10 riveting days of battles, sieges, politics, magic, and justice - anything you desire. For in Shadowbane, you command your fate - and the fate of the world around you. Start now!To get the free trial started, head over to the Shadowbane Free Trial page with the link provided below. Then all you have to do is to start the download and sign up for your 10 free days.
IMG News: Ubi Soft Offers Free Shadowbane Trial
Shadowbane Free Trial
NWN 1.32 Beta Patch
10:14 AM | Mike Apps | Comment on this story
It appears another patch for Bioware's hit game Neverwinter Nights is now in public beta-testing. The patch makes a number of different fixes to the game, including hacking prevention measures. Here's a list of the changes:
• Made some fixes to prevent game/character/server hacking. Sorry, but we will never publicly discuss specific changes to the game with regards to hacking the game.To download the patch, follow the provided link below. Be advised that as this is a beta patch, it is not supported by either Bioware or Macsoft, so use at your own risk.
NWN 1.32 Beta Patch
• Added some safety checks to the CD checking code. Hopefully this will prevent silly messages from Windows asking you to insert your NWN CD into your hard drive. Doing this might void your hard drive's warranty.
• Fixed a nasty frame rate killing bug - if you fired lots of missile weapons with some form of added damage (eg. fire) eventually your frame rate would slow to a crawl.
• Made a fix to wounding.
• Fixed some display issues in the internet multiplayer server list.
Buy Neverwinter Nights
Egoboo for OS X
10:14 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
IMG readers looking for something a little different may be interested in a title by the interesting name of Egoboo. While not necessarily new, Egoboo is described as a 3D dungeon crawler that draws its inspiration from NetHack. It features cartoonish OpenGL graphics that can be seen via various screenshots located at its official page.
Besides PC and UNIX versions, an OS X version has also been made available. Those interested in downloading Egoboo, which is a free open-source project, can find links and instructions at a special OS X-specific Egoboo page.
Egoboo for Mac OS X
Frozen Throne Bonus Map Available
10:14 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
The folks at Blizzard recently posted a new multiplayer map for download for use with Frozen Throne, the expansion pack for the popular RTS Warcraft III. Titled "Ice Forge," the map uses the Icecrown Glacier tileset and is recommended for either 1v1 or 2v2 skirmishes:
In the frozen tundra, dark powers and magical weapons were forged upon the cold, perilous lands of Ice Forge.The map, which is sized at around 127K can be downloaded at the official WC3: Frozen Throne site.
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne - Bonus Maps
WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne
Buy WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, September 3, 2003
Tuesday, September 2, 2003
Monday, September 1, 2003
Friday, August 29, 2003
Thursday, August 28, 2003
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.