Today at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Blizzard Entertainment announced plans for a Mac OS X version of World of Warcraft, its upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game. For the first time ever, the company previewed the game running on Mac OS X, along with the game's fifth new playable race, the reclusive Night Elves. These shadowy, immortal creatures were the first to study magic, which they unleashed throughout the world of Azeroth nearly ten thousand years before the events chronicled in the original Warcraft.Blizzard has also posted dozens of amazing new screenshots as well as an E3 trailer of the game on its web site (follow the E3 link below).
Blizzard also announced several new classes, many forms of transportation, and stunning new lands to explore. For the first time ever, the company also previewed the game's new fully customizable interface, which allows players to adjust the appearance and features of the interface to suit their particular preferences and style of play.
"Supporting the Mac platform has always been a priority for us," stated Mike Morhaime, Blizzard Entertainment president and co-founder. "We're dedicated to building a diverse gaming community around World of Warcraft, and by bringing the game to Mac users, we hope to achieve that goal."
Building on the success of the Warcraft series, Blizzard hopes to expand the MMORPG genre by creating a deep, immersive, user-friendly experience that will appeal to both veteran gamers and casual players alike. The E3 presentation shows off the vibrant world of Azeroth in great detail and demonstrates the significant new ways in which the universe has been expanded.
Key features in the game include:
* Immense, detailed world spanning miles of terrain and featuring hundreds of familiar locations throughout the rich Warcraft universe, as well as all-new, uncharted territories.
* Hundreds of quests that drive gameplay and provide countless opportunities for adventure and heroism.
* Regular content updates created by an ongoing live development team that continuously designs new lands, quests, and monsters.
* Thousands of items, including rare and unique weapons and armor with which to customize your character's appearance and abilities.
* Numerous character classes, each with its own distinctive style of play and multiple paths for development.
* A revolutionary secondary-skill system that allows players to create truly original characters with unique combinations of abilities.
* Multiple races to choose from, including Night Elves, Humans, Orcs, Tauren, Dwarves, and more to be revealed.
* Several personal modes of transportation, including horses, wolves, and more.
* Ships, Zeppelins, and Gryphons provide quick and easy travel throughout the world.
* Instanced zones create a personal combat and adventure experience for you and your companions.
IMG will have a full report on the Mac OS X showing of World of Warcraft very soon, so stay tuned. No official release date has been given for the title yet, but we'll be sure to bring you the latest.