Shadowgate Returns August 21
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Nearly 30 years after the original Shadowgate was released Zojoi, in cooperation with Reverb Triple XP, has announced an August 21 release for the re-imagined Shadowgate. The result of a successful Kickstarter campaign the game gives players the chance to venture into the dark halls of Castle Shadowgate in an attempt to defeat the Warlock Lord within.
In Shadowgate, intrepid gamers step inside the dark halls of Castle Shadowgate as "The Seed of Prophecy," the only one who could hope to defeat the traitorous Warlock Lord that dwells within. Designed with compelling cut-scenes that greatly expand the original Shadowgate universe, gamers navigate from room to room via the classic first-person perspective, using their wits to survive dangerous traps, devious puzzles, and ruthless enemies. If successful, they can assemble the Staff of Ages, a powerful relic capable of keeping this ancient enemy from destroying the living castle and the world of Tyragon itself.For more information, and a "side-by-side" trailer comparing the 1989 NES Shadowgate version with this year’s re-imagined game, visit the links below.
Shadowgate not only features a stunning level of detailed, hand-painted rooms but also tons of new, mind-bending puzzles from the makers of the original game. While there are more objects and new characters to interact with, there are also plenty of throwbacks to the original version, so veterans and newcomers alike will relish their journey through Castle Shadowgate… if they survive.
Shadowgate Features Include:
- All-new and updated puzzles seamlessly expand on the original game
- Multiple difficulty levels enable players to play on Master, the renowned difficulty of the original, or scale back the brutality with Apprentice (Easy) or Journeyman (Medium)
- Players can take advantage of a bevy of objects, spells, an all-new mapping system and on-screen commands to aid them in their quest
- Tons of hand-painted illustrated rooms feature both new and familiar locations
- Gorgeous visuals complete with new environmental effects and unique animations offer an immersive experience
- Bonus Retro Mode enables players to experience the game like it’s 1989! Choose Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES score, turn the graphics into 8-bit, and more
- Customize the experience with the classic or auto-hide control layout, tailored key binds for actions and objects, and/or lock commands for ease of use
- Updated storytelling features dramatic cut-scenes, plus all the same great storytelling you'd expect from a Shadowgate adventure
- A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack and sound effects change based on gameplay
- 50 in-game and Steam-based achievements to find and unlock
Shadowgate (add to watch list)
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, July 25, 2014
Thursday, July 24, 2014
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Monday, July 21, 2014
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.