Sword Of Fargoal 2 Aims To Bring C64 Adventure To Modern Era
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Fargoal, LLC recently unveiled a new Kickstarter project for Sword of Fargoal 2. If the developers reach their $50,000 goal they plan to offer a modern update of the classic Commodore 64 dungeon crawler for Mac, Windows, Linux, and iOS gamers. Sword of Fargoal 2 will feature improved graphics, new character types, expanded combat options, new spells, new quests, new monsters, and a new dungeon generation system.
Hi, I’m Jeff McCord. Over 25 years ago I created the original Sword of Fargoal for the Commodore 64 (C64). It was an extremely popular “Roguelike” dungeon crawler game with random dungeon generation and tons of replayabily. Like a true retro game, Fargoal had a reputation of being extremely hard, and very few people were known to find the Sword and make it out of the dungeon alive! Computer Gaming World magazine even listed Sword of Fargoal as one of the “Top 150 Best Video Games of All Time.”Click over to the page below for more.
Sword Of Fargoal 2 (add to watch list)
A few years ago I teamed up with ace developer Paul Pridham (a developer with 30 years of experience who created Saucelifter and the upcoming Punch Quest), Emmy award-winning animator Charlie Canfield, and noted British composer Daniel Pemberton (LittleBIGPlanet, BBC) to bring the game back for iOS and Mac OS. The remade Sword of Fargoal has won numerous awards, including “Best Retro Game (iPad division)” for the “2010 Best App Ever Awards” (“Sword of Fargoal Legends,” published by Chillingo/EA). Fargoal has even been recognized by the Guinness World Records 2012, Gamer’s Edition as “Most critically acclaimed ‘Roguelike’ for iOS.”
Now, a vocal contingent of Fargoal fans have demanded MORE. A reimagining of the game — with more spells. More monsters. More traps. Better graphics. More music. Animation. New characters types. New quests. A new dungeon-generation system, and much more. Basically to keep the fun and excitement of the original, but reinvent the game for 2012 & 2013, with more depth and rich gameplay; more adventure, exploration, mystery; plus new character classes.
That’s why we’re embarking on this quest to make Sword of Fargoal 2 — all new from the ground up.
With your help, here’s what Sword of Fargoal 2 will be:
- Mac/PC/Linux plus iOS versions: Sword of Fargoal 2 in all its glory on multiple platforms.
- Everything rebuilt from the ground up!
- Over 100 procedural dungeon levels: Different challenges and rewards every time you play.
- New character types: Fighter, Ranger, Thief, Magic User, plus male and female versions of both.
- New combat and ranged weapons, armor, magic, and effects.
- More goodies: Potions, wands, rods, spells, rings, amulets, traps, treasures, and poisons.
- Everything new about monsters throughout the dungeon: All new intelligent monster behavior, new monster types, and graphics.
- New quests and side-explorations: You can explore in brand new ways throughout all-new dungeon levels and types.
- New interactive dungeon environments: You’ll be able to pick locks, break containers, unlock items, burn items, create chain reaction explosions, ‘tinker’ to make your own traps, and change your environment in other cool ways.
- New unlockable “Ruins of Fargoal” mode: If you manage to free the Sword and win the game, you will be able to return to the dungeon and see how it has changed. Hint: it will be even more dangerous and unstable, with new riches to be found.
- New “Action Cards”: Cut scene cards to show you when you’ve achieved different elements of the game. You will have the ability to save, export, and re-watch you adventure like a slide show with music.
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, September 17, 2012
Friday, September 14, 2012
Thursday, September 13, 2012
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Monday, September 10, 2012
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.