More Warcraft III Ladder Update Details
8:23 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
Blizzard has posted more details regarding upcoming changes for their next Warcraft III ladder season. Changes for the new ladder are as follows:
Blizzard will be reopening the Westfall beta server to allow those with access to try out the new system. In addition, prior to the new ladder season, which starts on July 1st, Blizzard will perform a reset of ladders, though race wins and corresponding earned icons will be retained.
- Improvements in Battle.net's ability to determine a player's true skill rating and ELL (expected ladder level).
- Separate player skill ratings for Solo, Team, and FFA play. A great solo player is not necessarily the best team player.
- The number of games required for a player to reach the ladder level that corresponds to their ELL (expected ladder level) will differ based upon (1) game type and (2) the associated difficulty of finding games of that type on Battle.net. For instance, a random team player will have to play approximately 300 games, whereas a solo player will have to play approximately 200 games. An arranged 4v4 team player, on the other hand, will only have to play around 40. After playing a sufficient number of games, the player of average skill should be level 25 in that game type's corresponding ladder.
- The player skill requirement for reaching the very highest ladder levels will be increased. Fewer people will be able to reach level 50, but obtaining that level will also be more prestigious.
- The experience gained or lost by a player when a game finishes will be more directly influenced by the player's skill. Highly skilled players will now be able to reach higher ladder levels more quickly. Players who intentionally lose games in an effort to lower their ELL and find easier opponents will also find it much more difficult to climb the ladder.
- The experience gained or lost from one game will also be limited by new minimum and maximum experience values. These values differ based on the game type played.
Blizzard also lists a number of balance changes being brought with the update. A full list of these can be found in the WC3 section of Battle.net.
Mojo StormStout's Warcraft III Strategy Guide
WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne
Buy WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, June 21, 2004
Friday, June 18, 2004
Thursday, June 17, 2004
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Tuesday, June 15, 2004
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.