6:00 AM | Michael Eilers | Comment on this story
After several months of little or no information, the web site for Shadowbane, a massively-multiplayer online RPG destined for Mac and PC, has received a very large update. With some gorgeous new screen shots, information on the clan-based structure of this online adventure and many more details, this update should satisfy those following the progress of this title and placate anyone worried this game would vanish before completion.
Wolfpack Studios recently moved to a new location, which explains the period of silence. Their News page has a detailed list of what was updated. Here is an excerpt:
If you're reading this, you have already realized that the Official Shadowbane website has had a major facelift. It isn't just the look that has changed, though. We have also included tons of new information. Here is a quick run down of our new additions:Shadowbane will be a pay-per-month online RPG. Though it has relatively modest system requirements (it will run on any iMac and OS 8.1) the game's engine will allow dozens, perhaps hundreds of characters to be on screen at the same time. Emphasizing strategy over hack-and-slash, the game encourages players to band together into large clans, and there are a variety of roles to play including non-combat options. The object is to create a totally flexible, open-ended world into which Wolfpack will introduce plots, quests and challenges. Watch for this game late this year; it should ship for Mac and PC simultaneously. Check out the extensive web site for more details.
- We added 9 new screenshots centering around Guild Crests, sieges, and fortifications.
- A new section was added entitled Multimedia which contains theme music and in-game movie footage. Our first two in-game movies are about an ogre and scorpion.
- Seven new additions were made to the Conceptual Art section.
- The Bestiary will serve as a repository for information on the creatures and monsters indicative to our realm. Our first additions are: Grobolds, Ogres, Orcs, Scorpions, Skeletons, Skrell, Treants, Vampyres, and Zombies.
- A list of the Classes you will find in Shadowbane has been added! Complete descriptions have been done for the Fighter, Healer, Mage, and Rogue classes. Need I say more?
- You've heard the word before, but what are Disciplines? Look inside to learn not only their uses but also their origins. The complete back stories were done for the Black Mask, Rune Master, and Werewolf. For the rest of the Disciplines, however, complete background stories will be only be revealed within the game as players gain mastery of each school of thought, although the introductions to each will be given over time.
Shadowbane Web Site
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, August 21, 2000
Friday, August 18, 2000
Thursday, August 17, 2000
Wednesday, August 16, 2000
Tuesday, August 15, 2000
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.