Star Control II Coming to the Mac... For Free!
6:00 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
In an announcement that is sure to get retro computer gamers everywhere drooling in anticipation, Star Control fansite Pages of Now & Forever recently released information on Toys for Bob's intention to port Star Control II over to several platforms, including the Mac.
They plan on using the 3DO version as their basis, and list the following as their goals:
For those unfamiliar with the title, SC2 is a space exploration title that features 18 different races and an arcade-like ship vs. ship combat mode that was all the rage back in SC's heyday. Though neither this title nor its predecessor actually made it to the Mac platform, many a Mac gamer no doubt spent many hours with this title on a friend's PC. The announcement of a possible free port is welcome news, and IMG will be sure to keep tabs on this story as it develops.
The Pages of Now & Forever - All About StarControl
- We plan to support Mac (both classic and OSX), Linux, and Windows.
- The game will be available free of charge.
- Players will be able to choose between text and voices.
- We're looking into the possibility of allowing for independant creation of language plug-ins.
- Data, such as graphics, fonts, music, voices, sound effects, and the script will be loaded from standard filetypes. This will allow fans to choose between classic music and 3DO music, or even import their own modifications into the game.
- Improved support for modern gamepads.
- We're looking into 2-player supermelee over the internet... Cross your fingers!
Star Control II
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, June 24, 2002
Friday, June 21, 2002
Thursday, June 20, 2002
Wednesday, June 19, 2002
Tuesday, June 18, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.