X-Plane Updated to 6.20
6:00 AM | Tim Morgan | Comment on this story
The diligent programmers of Laminar Research have updated their flagship product, X-Plane to version 6.20. The new version adds a number of new features, as the website lists:
Flight Model ImprovementsX-Plane is a very modular civilian-aviation simulator complete with everything from a Cessna to a Space Shuttle. It includes capability for atmospheric, space, and Mars flight, as well as terrain covering almost all of the planet Earth.
Laminar Research (add to watch list)
- Propwash and P-factor are in there now along with the engine torque... you will really need that right rudder at the beginning of the takeoff!
- You used to be able to get by without it, but no more! You gotta have that right rudder in strong prop planes!
- For designers: be sure to use all 10 elements on your horizontal and vertical stabs! The resolution will really help get that twisting propwash just right across the whole flying surface!
- More translational lift in the helos.
New Features People Requested
- Enter Vle (max V landing gear extended) in Plane-Maker... and lose your gear doors if you bust the limit in the sim! Duh-OH! Be sure you turn on the warning option in the warning screen in the settings menu!
- "Auto-Ignition" annunciator when torque drops too low.
- Auto-coordination optional in helos, even if you do not have rudder pedals... Set the option in the equipment options screen.
- Working switches for nav and strobe lights, as requested.
- Auto-brakes can now be set in levels from 1 to max in the cockpit on auto-brake equipped airplanes.
- New failure option: fail at altitude. Nice to have stuff fail at a certain point in the climb.
- Different hi-speed constants for art stab system... Designers: be sure to update your acf files to have rate constants in the hi-speed system,
since they are no longer automatically copied from the lo-speed system! Not clear on how the artificial stab system works? Check out the new dynamic descriptions in Plane-Maker art stab screen! Also, the artificial stability system can be turned on or off with a switch in the cockpit.
- The HUD now shows an 'x' for the BACKWARDS velocity vector. Good for de-orbit burns and flying BACKWARDS in helos and VTOLs!
- Speedbrakes on the vertical stabs fully supported... both visually and in the flight model... good for craft like the Space Shuttle.
- Enter spool time for even prop engines in Plane-Maker... good for turboprops and turbo-lag simulation!
- Option to deploy elevator with flaps. Good for experimenting with lift-augmentation and stability.
- New World-Maker features: Grid flatten, grid align, body-ID edit.
- Autopilot switches to Mach-hold rather than indicated speed hold at 28k not 18k.
- Fuel tank switching logic better.
- Differential-braking for steering only used at low speeds (below the nosewheel steering transition speed already defined in Plane-Maker).
- FMS is now faster, and allows 100 entries (up from 50, as requested). A SMALLER FMS is also available!
- Start up engine running or not now expanded to include all switches for your pre-start checklist, if desired.
- Lots more joystick button options and lots more data IO, with various data IO re-organization... If you use UDP data IO, you may have to update the selections you get from the sim a bit!
- Faster scenery-loads.
- No frigates and aircraft carriers wandering around in the rivers and lakes. ;-)
- Prefs file format changed... it has to be expanded to include new capabilities.
- More Precision Flight Controls hardware support.
- Camera location and angle are outputtable in the data output screen.. sounds boring until you realize that you could write a UDP program to send the data right back in... direct your own movies!
- Custom NUMBER UDP input to supplement the needle and annunciator input. Also, you can send in UDP message to FAIL (and fix!) any failure mode in X-Plane... see the UDP docs included with the download!
- New and old-style turn coord done accurately.
- Airspeed indicators scaled for knots or MPH correctly.
- Elevators with ailerons work in BOTH directions now.
- The engine shuts up (audibly) when separated form the airplane.
- Mars lighting and textures working properly.
X-Plane 6 (add to watch list)
Download X-Plane 6.20 Mini-Update (6.2 MB)
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, June 20, 2002
Wednesday, June 19, 2002
Tuesday, June 18, 2002
Monday, June 17, 2002
Sunday, June 16, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.