Return to Castle Wolfenstein Goes Gold
10:56 AM | Andy Largent | Comment on this story
After a long wait, Aspyr Media was this morning finally able to announce that the Mac version Return to Castle Wolfenstein has been approved by id Software and Activision. The game is now in duplication and expected to be on store shelves by April 29.
This much-anticipated sequel to the legendary Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein 3D pushes the Quake III: Team Arena engine both in terms of graphics and gameplay. It features both a well-scripted single-player mode, developed by Gray Matter Interactive in collaboration with id Software, and an addictive team-based multiplayer game, developed by Nerve Software
Return to Castle Wolfenstein was converted to the Mac by Duane Johnson of Westlake Interactive; it runs natively on Mac OS X as well as on Mac OS 9.2.
Here are a few of the game's major features:
- Multiplayer mode pits players in a team-based Axis versus Allies contest for front-line domination, where multiple player classes must mobilize and work together to accomplish mission objectives.
- Enter a highly immersive storyline driven by ultra-realistic, mission-based action gameplay, believable AI and the unstoppable Quake III engine.
- Arm yourself with an arsenal of brutal weapons, including: Luger 9mm, Mauser 7.92 mm, MP-40, SP-5 sniper, venom guns, grenades, rocket launchers and flamethrowers.
- Face a league of nefarious foes, from Nazi operatives and SS guards, to zombies and Super Soldiers eight-foot-tall genetic mutants with deadly built-in weapons for hands.
Like many modern first-person shooters, the game requires a fairly powerful machine in order to play well, so do keep the game's system requirements in mind. Here they are, in their final form:
- Mac OS 9.2 or later with virtual memory active
- Mac OS X, version 10.1 or later
- Power Mac G3/G4/iMac (Flat-Panel or later)/PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet or later)
- 500 MHz or faster processor
- 128 MB of RAM
- 3D Graphic Acceleration required (ATI Radeon, nVidia GeForce or later)
For more information on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, check out IMG's preview, linked below. Also, be sure to get your orders in at the IMG Store if you haven't already.
[Sean Smith contributed to this story.]
IMG Preview: Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (add to watch list)
Westlake Interactive (add to watch list)
Buy Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, April 11, 2002
Wednesday, April 10, 2002
Tuesday, April 9, 2002
Monday, April 8, 2002
Friday, April 5, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.