Unreal Tourney PC at 425
1:35 PM | Michael Eilers | Comment on this story
We noticed on Blue's News that the PC version of shooter Unreal Tournament has been updated to version 425. This update does not break network compatibility with earlier versions, so netplay between Mac and PC is unaffected; however, the list of changes is extensive, and it may be time for Westlake Interactive, creators of the Mac port, to consider updating the Mac version past 413. Here is a list of changes, edited to remove issues that are PC-only (such as Direct3D tweaks):
Version 425 is completely network compatible with all previous public releases of UT (versions 400, 402, 405b, 413, and 420). Note that with the new version, when you are connecting to a passworded server, you will see a "Connection Failed" message, and then successfully connect. The client first tries to connect without using a password, and then tries again with the password.Westlake's current position on UT updates is a "wait-and-see" policy; as long as network compatibility isn't broken in some way, they will wait until a significant number of changes that affect gameplay build up and then create a patch when time and resources allow for it. We'll let you know if Westlake decides that the changes between the Mac and PC version have reached 'critical mass'.
- fixed another mixed skin cheat
- fixed creeping pings problem - especially prevalent with passworded servers
- fixed problems with passwords with spaces
- improved server CPU utilization
- improved prioritization of network traffic for low bandwidth users
- fixed ActorLineCheck() crash again - no really this time
- fixed clearing base on client in netplay - thanks Mongo
- fixed suicide spamming
- Last Man Standing now can have time limit
- fixed spriteballexplosion sounds playing client side
- faster translocation effect in software mode
- fixed collision bug which cropped up in 420 (overlord)
- lowered NGStats thread priority on dedicated servers, so NGStats doesn't hold up level changes.
- Added bExternalBatcher configuration option to [Engine.GameInfo]. If true, the game doesn't try to run the NGStats world log batch process.
Details on UT 425 at Blue's News
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, July 28, 2000
Thursday, July 27, 2000
Wednesday, July 26, 2000
Tuesday, July 25, 2000
Monday, July 24, 2000
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.