USB Overdrive for OS X Reaches Beta 3
6:00 AM | Richard Porcher | Comment on this story
Alessandro Levi Montalcini has released beta 3 of USB Overdrive for Mac OS X. This version improves USB mouse support, but does not yet add support for devices other than mice and trackballs, a feature that will be added in a later version.
USB Overdrive is a shareware utility that acts as a universal driver for most USB controllers, including mice, trackballs, joysticks, and gamepads. It supports most of the additional buttons, wheels, and switches on these devices, and can be used to create custom settings for individual applications.
The Mac OS X version of USB Overdrive promises to be particularly useful since some USB controllers do not yet have OS X drivers of their own. Users of currently unsupported USB controllers may find that USB Overdrive will allow them to use their devices in OS X.
Here are the changes made to USB Overdrive X beta 3:
- Fixed problems with mice that stopped working after some time, or when coming back from sleep.
- Hopefully fixed the problem where the settings wouldn't be enabled after login until the USB Overdrive X application was launched.
- Single-button mice now always perform a normal mouse click when their only button is pressed, no matter what has been assigned to the left button in the USB Overdrive. This allows you to use the Apple mouse normally while assigning different actions to a second mouse. For example, left-handed users can reverse the left and right buttons of a wheel mouse and still use the Apple mouse as usual.
- Added more Speed and Acceleration settings, based on user feedback from beta 2. All existing application settings will revert to the system default, and should be manually updated by the user. Note that this beta does not have variable acceleration curves yet.
- The Options menu now displays the list of connected devices, although it doesn't display their exact names yet.
- The user interface has visual feedback when the mouse wheel is rolled up or down.
Follow the link below to get all the details from the USB Overdrive site or to beta test this latest release.
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, February 15, 2002
Thursday, February 14, 2002
Wednesday, February 13, 2002
Tuesday, February 12, 2002
Monday, February 11, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.