Aliens vs Predator Updated to 1.0.4
6:00 AM | Richard Porcher | Comment on this story
In response to the e-mail of a gamer troubled about the persistence of several mouse-related control bugs in version 1.0.3, Contraband Entertainment's Bill Heineman quickly patched Aliens vs Predator and released version 1.0.4.
In the hit first-person shooter based on the popular Aliens and Predator movies, gamers are given the opportunity to assume the role of a member of one of three species: human Colonial Marine, Alien, or Predator. Aliens vs Predator was brought to the Mac by MacPlay, who recently announced that they will also be publishing the sequel, Aliens vs Predator 2.
Some of the changes to version 1.0.4 include:
- Mouse movement is more responsive.
- MouseWheel up and down are now the same in Mac OS 9 and X.
- Keyboard remapping menu is now more responsive (it sometimes didn't accept a keypress or mouse press when remapping a keyboard code)
- If using a Rage Pro chipset (old iMac or iBook), the game would go back to the desktop when starting a game, however, the game was in progress, just not visible. This only occurred in Mac OS X. This is fixed, however, if you are using a Rage Pro chipset, it is RECOMMENDED that you run AvP in Mac OS 9 to get hardware acceleration. Rage 128, Radeon and nVidia hardware work fine in Mac OS X.
- Adds the latest GameRanger libraries.
- Supports up to five mouse buttons.
In a thread at the MacGamer forums, Heineman had this to say concerning bug reporting and the quick turnaround time for version 1.0.4:
You'd be surprised at how many issues I may not know about. You see, I get VERY few bug reports. As a result, I find that someone sends me an email bitching about a certain bug that I didn't even know existed.We're always grateful when programmers are concerned to support their own work.
I can't fix everything as fast as that, but if someone has a problem with one of my games, send an email to me detailing the bug/issue in as much detail as possible. It really really helps me track down bugs.
Follow the link below to download version 1.0.4.
IMG Review: Aliens vs Predator
Aliens vs. Predator: Gold
MacGamer Forums: AvP 1.0.4 released
MGF: Aliens vs Predator 1.0.4 Demo (59 MB)
MGF: Aliens vs Predator 1.0.4 Update (3 MB)
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, February 7, 2002
Wednesday, February 6, 2002
Tuesday, February 5, 2002
Monday, February 4, 2002
Friday, February 1, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.