Rune: Halls of Valhalla Publication Details
11:37 AM | Sean Smith | Comment on this story
Last Friday, IMG brought you the news that the stand-alone expansion pack Rune: Halls of Valhalla, long completed by Westlake Interactive and awaiting publication, is finally going to be published for the Mac by Human Head Studios, the original developers of the PC version, in collaboration with Westlake.
Andrew "Quetzal" Plucker, the administrator of the Rune for Mac Forum at RuneGame.com, alerted us to a post by Kazi Wren, RuneGame's "Dark Mistress," with more details on the publication of the Mac version:
Okay, as Tim at HH mentioned, I'm working with HH and Westlake to get this game to you. Here is my update:While Halls of Valhalla is an expansion pack for Rune, the Unreal-engine, third-person slasher, it is unusual in that it doesn't require the original game to function. Human Head designed the expansion to stand on its own, focusing on multiplayer combat rather than on the single-player story elements of the original Rune:
I saw a few people asking about compatibility to Mac OS X. Glenda [Adams of Westlake] is considering this (as stated in a recent interview) but the final decision will come from her.
- The game will be professionally mastered from the original supplied by Westlake.
- The plan so far is to provide the game manual on the disk (cuts the cost of printing to tiny paper booklets).
- You will be able to buy the game online.
- The plan is to offer the game domestically and internationally.
Some of you have asked "when!!!" You've waited a lonnnng time, that's for sure. I don't have an exact date YET, but I'm shooting for a mid-February/late February time frame (hello, Valentine's Day).
PLEASE don't get pissed if it slips just a tiny bit past this estimate. I'm organizing a ton of stuff in a short amount of timeso be kind. :-)
Two new modes (Headball and Arena) and additional maps, along with a multitude of new, animated creatures including three new fearsome female characters will keep the melee going. The Headball mode is a team based sports game in which players rend the limbs or heads of their enemies and score points by throwing them through a goal. It's kill or be killed in the Arena mode as gamers compete in one-on-one duels against varying opponents. Similar to the original game, Rune: Halls of Valhalla will utilize an enhanced version of Epic Games' Unreal Tournament game engine and will feature amazingly life-like animations, a detailed weapon system and a unique combat system.You can be sure that IMG will keep you updated on the saga of Rune: Halls of Valhalla.
Rune: Halls of Valhalla
- Two new play modes: Headball and Arena and a host of new characters.
- Online multiplayer play with access to all the original maps and characters featured in Rune as well as expanded, new content.
- Original in-game music content created exclusively for Rune: Halls of Valhalla.
- 33 new maps available across all game modes including seven maps designed by fans.
- New combat style with added defensive options such as the ability to deflect thrown weapons and improved shields.
Human Head Studios
RuneGame.com: Another HOV for Mac Update
Buy Rune: Halls of Valhalla
Recent Mac Games News
Tuesday, January 22, 2002
Monday, January 21, 2002
Friday, January 18, 2002
Thursday, January 17, 2002
Wednesday, January 16, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.