Quake II for OS X Adds Mission Pack Support
10:22 AM | Sean Smith | Comment on this story
The Fruitz of Dojo, continuing on what is turning into a development rampage, have released yet another update to their Cocoa version of id Software's Quake II for Mac OS X, adding support for the Rogue and Xatrix mission packs just a few days after adding support for Action Quake2.
Here's what else is new in Quake II 1.0.3:
Not content to stop there, the Fruitz have also released an update to their Cocoa port of the original Quake, bringing it up to version 1.0.5:
- Fixed a keypad handling bug.
- Fixed an issue with CD playback which could cause an application hang.
- Renderer specific variables are no longer forgotten if you switch the renderer type.
- Screenshots are now saved in TIFF format, rather than PCX for the Software or TGA for the OpenGL renderer.
- Some minor improvements to the windowed mouse mode.
- Many minor changes.
With the recent Carbonization of the GLQuake project at SourceForge (see our story linked below), gamers now have two choices for playing Quake and QuakeWorld natively in Mac OS X: Cocoa versions from the Fruitz of Dojo and Carbon versions from the GLQuake project. What a wealth of riches!
- Enabled paste via "cmd-v" and the edit menu.
- Changed mouse acceleration handling [uses now IOKit].
- Fixed the keyboard repeat issue after application quit.
- Screenshots are now saved in TIFF format.
- Mouse wheel support finally works.
- Added support for up to 5 mouse buttons.
- Added support for the numeric keypad.
- Added "Connect To Server" service to QuakeWorld and GLQuakeWorld.
- Added rendering inside the Dock [if window is minimized].
- Added application hide [via "cmd-h"] in windowed mode.
- Added windowed mode to the software renderer.
- Added application switching [via "cmd-tab"] in fullscreen mode [software renderer only].
- Reworked windowed mouse code [should now work perfectly].
- Many other small changes and fixes...
You can download the applications from our sister site, MacGameFiles, but remember that to run them you'll need the Quake or Quake II data files.
IMG News: GLQuake and GLQuakeWorld Carbonized
IMG News: Quake II for Mac OS X Adds AQ2 Support
Fruitz of Dojo
MGF: Quake 1.0.5 for Mac OS X (1.3 MB)
MGF: Quake II 1.0.3 for Mac OS X (1.6 MB)
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, January 16, 2002
Tuesday, January 15, 2002
Monday, January 14, 2002
Friday, January 11, 2002
Thursday, January 10, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.