11:28 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
The Mac Observer has recently noted the release of a new OS X-only shareware title courtesy of illumineX. Titled BabelBloX, this arcade-style game has players attempting to "eliminate a mixed grid of different colored blocks by clicking on groups of two or more." Like most puzzle games, while the concept is simple, the actual gameplay can be surprisingly addictive. And if you get tired of the basic concept, there are several iterations of gameplay available:
- Classic BabelBloX - Start with a three color grid, and work up to progressively more challenging levels.
- Big Ben -Based on Classic BabelBloX, this game adds the challenge of a race against the clock for each level.
- Bubbles -BloX are morphed into clear Delay BloX when you destroy a cluster. The delay BloX survive until you destroy another cluster, and then they "pop" out of existence.
- Shockwave - A relaxing visual treat. This game is sorta like doodling -- you can play it while talking on the phone (don't play it while driving!)
- Gravity Pong - Gravity changes directions each move.
- Gravity Delay Pong - Delay BloX add to the challenge of this game.
For the more tech-minded out there, illumieX notes that they used a variety of OS X technologies in BabelBloX, including OpenGL, Quartz, Cocoa, Mac Help, Aqua Interface, an animated dock icon, Windowed & Full Screen displays and Threads. They also boast that "BabelBloX is the first fully-skinned Cocoa application to appear on Mac OS X."
BabelBloX 1.7.42 (6.3 MB)
Interested gamers that have OS X can download the free trial application, which lets gamers play the "X Free" game. For those that register by paying the $19.95 shareware fee, the other game modes will be unlocked and give players the rights to free updates for a year.
illumineX - Software
The Mac Observer - BabelBloX Overview
Recent Mac Games News
Tuesday, September 25, 2001
Monday, September 24, 2001
Friday, September 21, 2001
Thursday, September 20, 2001
Wednesday, September 19, 2001
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.