MW: Warcraft III Coming to the Mac
11:28 AM | IMG News | Comment on this story
Following yesterday's exciting announcement that Diablo II for the Mac was shipping, Blizzard has come through again with even more good news, as expected. According to a new press release, Warcraft III will be coming to the Mac by the end of next year! Here is the press release in full:
At MacWorld starting today, Blizzard Entertainment announced plans for a Macintosh version of Warcraft III, the latest title under development in the company's number-one selling Warcraft series. Departing from the current generation of real-time strategy games, Blizzard is developing Warcraft III as a 3D role-playing strategy game. This isn't all-together surprising news, since Blizzard has never let us down before. But it is still great to hear, as Warcraft III is looking to be a simply amazing game! Tuncer spoke to Blizzard staff and reports that this title is expected to be a simultaneous release; we'll have more details from our meeting with Blizzard tomorrow.
Blizzard Warcraft III PR
By introducing role-playing elements to the Warcraft universe, Blizzard intends to elevate strategy games to a new level of interactivity. Instead of focusing on resource gathering and accumulating massive numbers of expendable units, Warcraft III will immerse players in a dynamic world, making the game environment much more compelling. Players will control smaller, more powerful forces as they adventure, complete quests and interact with non-player characters, while simultaneously devising strategies to succeed in the overarching mission of defeating opponents.
Key features in the game include:
- Five different races to command including Orcs, Humans, Demons and Undead, each possessing unique units, magical abilities and weapons of war.
- Legendary heroes lead powerful forces while completing quests, gaining experience and acquiring special items.
- Fully interactive world that incorporates non-player characters; wandering monsters; neutral towns, strongholds and temples; and environmental effects.
- Skeletal and skinning animation process allows infinite frames of animation resulting in true fluid movement of 3D models.
- Advanced world design tools allow players to customize every aspect of the game including tile sets; character art; quests; mission objectives; and unit types, AI, attributes, special abilities and spells.
- Expanded multiplayer options over Battle.net including a larger number of players per game and multiple game types including team play and questing.
The company's number-one selling Warcraft series has won industry acclaim and has shattered sales records. Since the original Warcraft: Orcs and Humans released in the 1994, the series has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness won multiple Game of the Year awards, as well as Best Multiplayer Game.
Warcraft III is expected to release in Macintosh format by the end 2001. The game will be available for about $55 at retailers nationwide and through the company's webpage at www.blizzard.com.
Buy WarCraft III
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, July 17, 2000
Friday, July 14, 2000
Thursday, July 13, 2000
Wednesday, July 12, 2000
Tuesday, July 11, 2000
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.