Strike Force Shifts to Tribes 2
12:28 PM | Andy Largent | Comment on this story
Yesterday, the Strike Force team announced they were going to wrap up the Unreal Tournament port of their mod - originally for Half-life - and start focusing on creating a version for Dynamix's upcoming FPS Tribes 2. Some of the reasons behind this shift were a lack of support on the UT side, and the larger outdoor environments to be used in Tribes 2. Here is their explanation:
We are very excited about the Tribes 2 port for a few reasons though. We can have huge outside environments along with gorgeous inside buildings. We will already have access to code that allows us to build jeep, tank, armor transport and other various ground support vehicles. They will all be able to run across the terrain and over hills and mountains. The flight code is also in game which will allow us to have bombers, helicopters and jets. I mean who doesn't want to load your men into a troop transport and carry them across the landscape to the enemy base?Today, they made a new update saying that the UT version would still be worked on. Here's a clip:
Ok I spoke with the team and we have decided to continue to work on Strike Force for UT! Why? because we want to make the public happy and regardless of lack of support we will continue. Here is the current plan.
1) We will be redoing all the guns, skins and animations.... new arms and hands will be included. Strike Force will still be made for Tribes 2 as well but we will continue to fully work on Strike Force for UT. So smile! =)
2) We will be fixing the current code so it works without having to change anything with UT.
3) We will be working on all new in game sounds and music.
4) We will get the bots working correctly and using all guns.
4) I have brought on a new model person that does commercial work. He is also the manager of 25 animators. They will be working on the new player models for Strike Force and doing motion capture for them if this is possible, not sure about it yet though.
To prove they're still around for UT, they have also released a third map pack for the mod currently available. It includes three new TeamDM maps, so give it a try. Dynamix is looking to released Tribes 2 by the end of the year for both Mac and PC.
Strike Force Download at MGF
Sierra Tribes 2 Web Site
Strike Force Web Site
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, July 5, 2000
Monday, July 3, 2000
Friday, June 30, 2000
Thursday, June 29, 2000
Wednesday, June 28, 2000
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.