Baldur's Gate II Postmortem
11:09 AM | Andy Largent | Comment on this story
Although the game has yet to be released for the Mac, GameSpot has posted an excellent postmortem for Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. The article was written by Bioware CEOs Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka as well as James Ohlen, executive producer for the game. The ten-page piece covers a number of things that went both right and not-so-right with this massive sequel to the amazingly popular original. When a game spans nearly 200-250 hours of play, you know it must be managed with care so that your artists, designers, and programmers don't let the project get off track. The postmortem covers the intricacies of the design project and much more. Here's an excerpt with a list of features both BioWare and fans wanted to see in the sequel:
After combining and editing the two lists, we came up with the major feature list that looked like this: RPG fans should definitely head over and read through the rest of the postmortem, as it gives you a great idea of what you might expect to find in Baldur's Gate II. MacPlay has given no specific date as to when we might be seeing the title other than this year. We'll keep you posted on any status updates. For now, check out IMG's preview of the game for more info.
1. Higher resolution support (800x600 and up).
2. 3D support for 3D graphics cards.
3. Non-pausing dialogue in multiplayer.
4. Drop-off panels in the interface.
5. Multiple new character kits (subclasses) for all classes.
6. Faster character movement.
7. The ability to wield two weapons at once.
8. Improved character animation (more detail, more frames).
9. Inclusion of all of the "famous" D&D monsters, including the most famous of all, the dragon.
10. Spells up to the ninth level for mages.
11. Streamlined journal, annotatable map GUIs.
12. Deathmatch mode.
13. Character interaction and romances on par with those of Final Fantasy VII and other great PC and console RPGs.
14. Definite evil and good paths to allow for alignment-based role-playing.
IMG Preview of Baldur's Gate II
Baldur's Gate II Postmortem at GameSpot
Baldur's Gate II
Buy Baldur's Gate II
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, March 28, 2001
Tuesday, March 27, 2001
Monday, March 26, 2001
Friday, March 23, 2001
Thursday, March 22, 2001
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.