Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Hits Macs This Fall
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 7 comments
Aspyr Media, in partnership with 2K and Firaxis Games, has announced that Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will be launching on Steam for both Mac and Linux and on Apple’s Mac App Store this holiday season. The Mac and Linux versions will retain the same features and gameplay as the Windows PC version, while also offering cross-platform multiplayer via Steam. The new science fiction-themed entry in the award-winning Civilization franchise will send players on an expedition from Earth to explore and colonize an alien planet in the hope of creating a new civilization.
“The teams from Firaxis and 2K have done an astounding job of expanding on the core Civ experience in Beyond Earth,” said Aspyr Media’s Vice President of Publishing, Elizabeth Howard. “So, it’s exciting for us to be able to bring the same experience to Mac and Linux users everywhere.”More information about Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth for Mac and Linux will be available in the days ahead.
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mac/Linux FAQ
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will propel the development of human civilization beyond the traditional timeline of a Civilization game, by exploring humanity’s future on an alien world. For the first time, players will lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and evolve their new civilizations to reflect their chosen destiny. Players will experience an array of new gameplay possibilities, including nonlinear technological progression, deeper customization of chosen factions, and an entire alien world that will change the very identity of each faction based on their choices.
Key features of Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth include:
Mac and Linux users may pre-order a Steam code for the title at Aspyr’s online store GameAgent.com. All GameAgent pre-orders will include the Exoplanets Map Pack as a free bonus.
- Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
- Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
- New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.
- New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, October 20, 2014
Friday, October 17, 2014
Thursday, October 16, 2014
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.