Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Landing October 24
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
2K and Firaxis Games have announced an October 24 release date for Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth, a new science fiction-themed entry in the award-winning Civilization franchise. Currently in development by Firaxis Games for Windows-based PCs, the game will also be coming to Mac and Linux via Aspyr Media. Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will send players on an expedition from Earth to lead their people into a new frontier to explore and colonize an alien planet, and create a new civilization.
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will propel the development of human civilization beyond the traditional timeline of a Civilization game, by exploring humanity’s future on an alien world. For the first time, players will lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and evolve their new civilizations to reflect their chosen destiny. Players will experience an array of new gameplay possibilities, including nonlinear technological progression, deeper customization of chosen factions, and an entire alien world that will change the very identity of each faction based on their choices.Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will be available for Mac, Windows, and Linux PCs for $49.99.
“Having celebrated its 23rd anniversary last year, Civilization has cemented its reputation as one of the greatest and longest running franchises in video game history,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth builds upon that success by pushing the series in new directions with players exploring an unknown future on an alien planet.”
“The Civ team was excited about the opportunity to continue the story of Civilization into the future, because it allows the team to break free of historical context,” said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. “We’ve always let our fans create the history of mankind, and Civilization: Beyond Earth will now let them create the future.”
Key features of Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth include:
- Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
- Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
- New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.
- New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
Fans who pre-order Civilization: Beyond Earth from participating retailers will receive the Exoplanets Map Pack, which includes six custom maps inspired by real exoplanets, at launch.
This map pack includes:
- Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets;
- Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to our solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet’s settlement are well-preserved;
- Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources;
- Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness;
- 82 Eridani e: An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces;
- Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain.
For more information visit the site below and check out a new trailer on YouTube.
Beyond Earth Video
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth (add to watch list)
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, July 3, 2014
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Tuesday, July 1, 2014
Monday, June 30, 2014
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.