Wurm Online Updated
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Code Club has announced the release of a new update for its MMO game, Wurm Online. Version 1.1 includes a number of bug fixes, performance improvements, new game features, and enhancements to the game’s depth and accessibility. A new developer diary video explaining the details of the patch has also been released.
In development since 2003, Wurm Online is described as a java-based MMO sandbox survival fantasy game which allows players to "set their own goals in a complicated and extensively modifiable world inhabited by other players."
"We have always tried to make Wurm a beautiful and persistent world. This update has helped us to achieve that aim, because players can now enjoy the game at much higher graphical settings with much better performance."
He added, “In the past we have had problems with performance and graphical quality, but this update fixes many of those problems based on suggestions from our players.”
These fixes include improvements to the game client, so that it now uses graphics processor power more effectively rather than relying on CPU. In addition, a multitude of minor bug fixes have improved overall game experience.
Included in the release were a number of highly anticipated features including an all-new sorcery and mystical abilities system, the ability to modify existing structures, an overhaul of the foraging and botanising system and a number of other features.
The patch also brought a number of aesthetic changes, including updated creature models, new constructible fence types, player creatable tabards, decorative items and visible mount equipment.
New, high quality incidental game music was included in the patch, and further information regarding the composer and future music expansions will be released in due course.
This update marks the first major release since Wurm Online officially reached version 1.0 on December 12th 2012.
More About The Game:
Wurm Online is a totally unique, highly accessible online wilderness MMORPG that will drag you in, shake you up and down, bite you, annoy you, drive you completely mad and leave you wondering why you didn’t find it a million years ago!
Both PvP and PvE server clusters are available. On the Freedom PvE cluster, you can enjoy a peaceful life being eaten by bears in the woods. One of those servers offers opportunities to get a taste for fighting with other players, though. The Epic PvP cluster offers a lot of opportunities to fight and compete with other players. It also has bears, so watch out! You can transfer your account between the clusters at any time, skills and items do not transfer but are kept intact.
Playing is easy. Just register for free and then download the Java client and packages by clicking on the Play! button on the site. Oh, you need Java, but there is a handy link for Java up to the right. Java is, of course, platform-independent, which means you can play Wurm on Linux, Mac, and even Windows!
Creating an account is free and you can play free of charge for an unlimited amount of time* with restricted abilities. If you want to buy premium membership to unlock high skill levels, just go to the shop and buy premium for 8€ per month any time you like. When premium time runs out, your skills get limited until you purchase premium again. It really is that simple.
What can I do in Wurm?
- Explore huge, diverse landmasses extending over 512sq km in total!
- Modify the terrain; dig, raise, flatten and sculpt the land around you!
- Make your home on either the PvP or PvE server.
- Craft and use thousands of unique items.
- Wage war on other kingdoms, and lead yours to victory.
- Discover and fight over religious artifacts on the PvP server.
- Capture and breed animals from the environment.
- Train 133 Skills, 10 Player Characteristics, and 3 Religion Characteristics.
- Follow one of four unique deities and religions.
- Hunt creatures such as the unique red dragon, forest giant, kyklops, troll king and others!
- Become a priest or champion of your religion and learn powerful spells and enchantments.
- Choose one of five meditation paths and take advantage of special meditation abilities.
- Earn as many of our 200+ skill and achievement titles as you have time for!
- Mount various creatures, from horses and carts to unicorns, bears and even dragons!
- Construct, crew or even captain six different ship types with other players, from small rowing boats to impressive caravels.
- Build a variety of structures, from guard towers to stone houses to fences and statues.
- Found your own settlement wherever you desire; own land, build a farm, a castle, or perhaps an entire village!
- Pave roads to connect settlements and plant signs to improve local infrastructure.
- Live off the land by creating fields to farm a variety of crops including potatoes, garlic, cotton, wheat, strawberries, pumpkins and more!
- Cook food using a huge range of ingredients.
- …and much more!
Wurm Online Video Developer Diary
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, July 3, 2013
Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Monday, July 1, 2013
Friday, June 28, 2013
Thursday, June 27, 2013
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.