Jagged Alliance: Flashback Kickstarter Nearing End
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
An IMG reader recently emailed us about Full Control's soon to be concluded Kickstarter campaign for Jagged Alliance: Flashback. Planned for release on Mac, Windows, and Linux PCs, the game is a reboot of the classic Jagged Alliance turn-based tactical action series. Like its predecessors, Flashback will put players in control of a squad of mercenaries and give them the chance to manage their activities both on and off the field of battle.
Full Control recently released a diorama scene showcasing a combat scenario in the game. Although Flashback is still in pre-production, the diorama gives players the chance to explore the scenario from a variety of camera points and zoom levels.
Jagged Alliance: Flashback is our vision of returning a once critically acclaimed franchise back to its roots, it's not a reboot, it's a reset! Full Control is seeking $350,000 in funds before the May 23 deadline. Current contributions total $246,889.
Our main goal is to bring back the tactical turn-based action that the original Jagged Alliance games are known for - the game was a thinking man's game, a thinking man with lots of guns!
The games were unique in their blend of tactical turn-based action, controlling and maintaining squads of mercenaries, off and on the battlefield. As a player the decisions you made had a direct impact on how you played the game. Additionally, over-the-top personalities, memorable characters and role-playing elements made the games difficult to put away once you were hooked.
Below we have listed some of the major game features we are planning to implement:
The game text will be localized to English, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish.
- Single-player tactical turn-based action, including a fully integrated cover system and 30 tile system with multiple levels.
- Roleplaying: Interact with NPCs to gain battlefield information, unlock new weapons and mercenaries.
- Customizable Mercenaries: From gear down to the hair style.
- Base Management: Plan which missions to engage in, build training facilities and research new weapon upgrades.
We will give you a choice of distribution, always including a DRM-free option, for both the core game and future expansions.
Our target platform is PC and the game will be available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
With flashback we want to take you back to the cold war era and let you play the events that lead up to the founding of the international mercenary organization called A.I.M.
The story is set in the late-1980s, on the Caribbean island group of San Christobal.
Following a coup d'état a socialist regime has been established on the island, a change that undermines the U.S. presence in the area.
Seizing the opportunity, a hard-line fanatic general leads an elite U.S.S.R. military unit to establish a military base right under the nose of the U.S. Under the guise of shipping humanitarian aid, large amounts of cargo and military hardware are headed for San Christobal. A Russian presence larger and closer to the U.S. than Cuba could potentially tip the balance of power and turn a cold war into a steaming hot one.
Under secret orders from the CIA it is now up to you to assemble a team of capable mercenaries, restore the democratic government on San Christobal and drive out the U.S.S.R. presence, by any means necessary.
We are aiming to build Jagged Alliance: Flashback around the core pillars that made the originals great; the deep strategy, the thrilling action and character RPG elements. The core game is essentially split up into 2 layers, a strategy layer and a tactical layer.
- Base Management is the strategy layer behind all the gun-toting and action, it is your base of operations, where you manage resources and control which missions to engage in.
- It functions as a hub between missions and provides you with a map over the game world, it is also where you recruit, customize and take care of your mercenaries.
- The base is also used to manage the training of your mercenaries, construction and weapon research/manufacturing.
- The Tactical Screen is the turn-based action layer of the game, it features an isometric 3D camera view of the battlefield and it’s where you control your squad of selected mercenaries to achieve objectives and engage enemies face-to-face.
- Gear, character attributes and weapons all affect how a mercenary performs on the battlefield.
- There will be fog of war, which prevents a full view of the battlefield and hides enemy movements.
- The mercenaries can take cover behind objects in the world to gain different levels of protection.
- Mercenaries also gain new abilities as they survive more battles, but when they die - it's permanent!
Check out the page below to learn more.
Jagged Alliance: Flashback Diorama
Jagged Alliance: Flashback Kickstarter
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Monday, May 13, 2013
Friday, May 10, 2013
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.