Telepath Tactics Status Update, New Kickstarter Plans
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Sinister Design has posted a new blog article about development on Telepath Tactics, revealing information about a variety of new features as well as plans to make another Kickstarter attempt in March. Set in the world of the Telepath RPG universe, the turn-based multiplayer tactics game will feature support for up to six players in hotseat mode, a new art style, redesigned UI, and a new combat engine.
Despite my current limited resources, I’m still pushing forward and making needed substantive improvements to Telepath Tactics:Click on the link below to read the rest of the update on the game's progress.
Telepath Tactics February 2013 Update
In short: work on the game’s animations is progressing slowly, but it is progressing. However, I’ll be able to speed things up dramatically with successful Kickstarter funding.
- You can now create ice bridges by using Cold element attacks on water tiles. This was a feature I’d been wanting in the game for some time; all in all, it took less than an hour to add. Have a look.
- The map editor now includes a new dialog editor that makes it easy to create your own dialog trees and edit existing ones. I’ve also extended the dialog/scripting system with new triggers and script actions to ensure lots of flexibility to create interesting branching conversations and branching campaigns. Of particular note is the fact that you can now define, modify, check and display custom variables in dialog. This allows you to model money, shops, character relationships, or just about anything else you can think of during the course of a campaign. You can see this stuff in action in the video below!
- I’ve been making a lot of improvements to game interface in anticipation of releasing an updated demo. I’ve replaced the ugly beige dialog box with a somewhat nicer looking placeholder graphic, and have reworked my whole approach to the battle GUI. I’m looking to hit a sweet spot between useability and minimal screen clutter–unexpectedly, this led me back toward an implementation reminiscent of the combat GUI window from Telepath RPG: Servants of God. You can see the new interface design below:
- I’ve rewritten the code which establishes panning bounds for the game’s maps to avoid showing black space on larger maps when in fullscreen mode, and minimizing the amount visible on maps which are smaller than the size of the screen. (More details on that here if you’re curious.)
- Benn Marion has made some much-needed tweaks to the title screen art, and it’s now looking awfully nice
- Composer Ryan Richko is now working on the Telepath Tactics soundtrack. My favorite track he’s sent in so far is a sinister, ambient piece called “Evil Lurks.” Give it a listen!
- Attack animations are now coded into the engine itself. Whenever you attack with a character, the game now checks for an animation specific to the attack being launched. If it can’t find one, it instead loads a default animation (which you can define on a character-by-character basis). The attack animations for the Swordsman, Cavalier, Cryokineticist, Bowman and Healer are currently in-game and working; the others are still being created.
- Also, we’ve got some lovely death poses underway for the game’s various characters.
Speaking of which! The Kickstarter will launch on or about March 14th. Make sure you’re following us on Twitter and on Facebook–we’ll be posting announcements when the time comes, and we’ll need your help to spread the word!
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, February 25, 2013
Friday, February 22, 2013
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.