Mac Journeyman 3 DVD Patch
9:07 AM | Andy Largent | Comment on this story
Before Presto Studios received the go-ahead from Cyan to take over development of Myst III: Exile, the company had already produced a successful Myst-like trilogy called the Journeyman Projects on their own. Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time, like the previous two titles, was made available for Mac and PC on CDs. A DVD version was later produced, though it was only made available for those running PCs. This was unfortunate, because the DVD allowed you to stop swapping the 4 CDs from the previous version, along with including other features. Interestingly, Apple ran a promotion bundling the DVD version (minus the extra features) with their machines a few years ago, though nothing has ever been made available to the general public.
Now, Jim Stephenson's excellent Cyan/Myst fan site brings word that a Mac patch is available for download to use with the PC Journeyman 3 DVD version. Here's the scoop on how to make it work from Presto's programmer Roland Gustafsson:
1. Download the Mac game application. If you haven't tried out Journeyman Project 3 and do have a DVD player in your Mac, this may be an excellent opportunity. There are many bonuses to getting the DVD version, such as:
2. Unstuff the Mac app and put it in a new folder.
3. When you get the PC DVD, simply find the "J3DATA" folder on the DVD (it's in the "INSTALL" folder) and copy it to the same new folder that the application is in.
- Over half an hour of cinematic movies with double the video playback resolution of the original CD-ROM
- Specially remastered spherical VR graphics featuring sharper detail and brighter colors
- All gameplay animation have been reprocessed to play back with twice the original detail
- Exclusive broadcast-quality MPEG-2 version of the Legacy of Time video trailer is also included for playback on your PC or set-top consumer DVD player
So if you're in you can't wait for Exile to come out, grab the PC build of Journeyman 3 and give it a try. Finding a copy of the game might be a challenge, so scope out your local PC retailer and see if you can dig one up. If we can find a reliable supply of the DVD version on the web, we'll pass that along as well.
[Update]: New instructions and an update download location has been added in the links below.
Updated Install Instructions
Riven Unofficial Home Page
Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time Web Site
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, February 9, 2001
Thursday, February 8, 2001
Wednesday, February 7, 2001
Tuesday, February 6, 2001
Monday, February 5, 2001
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.