The Banner Saga Announced
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 12 comments
Stoic recently announced The Banner Saga, a new strategy role playing adventure game. Launched as a Kickstarter crowd funded project by three former Bioware developers, the game will combine elements of turn based strategy, role playing, and adventure games. The Banner Saga follows the exploits of a band of vikings.
The Banner Saga is a role-playing game merged with turn-based strategy, wrapped into an adventure mini-series about vikings.The Banner Saga is currently at $77,043 of its $100,000 target, with a month left to go. It is planned for a November 2012 release.
Travel through stunning landscapes straight out of an animated film. Battle painstakingly hand-animated foes in strategic, turn-based combat harkening back to the classic "Tactics" days of gaming. Make decisions with consequences in conversations with people you'll truly care about.
And throughout the whole thing record the history of your people on your banner where it will be remembered, because soon there might not be anything left.
The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy.
Our first priority has always been to make a role-playing game that feels and looks fresh, and plays like the classic tactical strategy games of our childhood. It's not about defeating the villain and saving the day. It's not about grinding to get past the next fight. The Banner Saga throws you into the end of the world and asks "how do you deal with this"?
- DRM-Free, and available on PC and Mac
- Not another generic fantasy: Drawing heavily from Norse culture while creating its own identity and mythology, The Banner Saga takes a low-fantasy approach to viking themes. Giants: yes. Horned helmets: no.
- Strategic combat: Recruit a large roster of unique characters throughout the story, each with different abilities that interact in combat in a deeply tactical way and personalities of their own. The Banner Saga harkens back to classic turn-based gameplay with a strong emphasis on tactics over brute force and endless grinding.
- Travel across gorgeous landscapes: The choices you make as events arise have a huge affect on how the story plays out- who survives, who dies, and what's worth saving. Add people to your caravan as you travel, or lose them when tough decisions arise. You're not just fighting to save nameless strangers, you're fighting for your neighbors, your family and your way of life. We want you to care what happens to them.
- An emphasis on story: Your choices in dialogue and throughout the game truly affect the story and the people around you. A mature story for adults means forming relationships and making tough decisions; not sex, violence and swearing.
- Play online: Though the single-player campaign is our focus, The Banner Saga provides a deep multiplayer game; build a unique party of characters and battle friends and enemies in multiplayer combat. Upgrade your party over time and devise new strategies.
- Risk in gameplay: A lot of modern games play it safe- you know you'll defeat the evil and save the day. In The Banner Saga you can't take anything for granted. We want it to feel like a good tv mini-series; the world doesn't revolve around you, it's about how you deal with change.
Click over to the page below to learn more about the game.
The Banner Saga
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, March 19, 2012
Friday, March 16, 2012
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.