6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
EA and Maxis have announced the company's next project, Darkspore. The online science-fiction action role playing game offers Diablo inspired action and an upgraded version of the creature design tools in Spore. The game will feature a single player campaign, four player cooperative play, and multiplayer battles.
“Darkspore is inspired in part by the award-winning creature editor tech of Spore, but also in large part from the team’s own passion for gaming and prior experience,” said Lucy Bradshaw, General Manager of Maxis Studio. "The team has combined these inspirations to produce a unique take on the action RPG genre.”Darkspore is currently in development and scheduled for a February 2011 launch. Macworld is reporting that a Mac version of the game will also be released in 2011.
Darkspore will feature dynamic, fast-paced action as players battle across alien worlds to save the galaxy from the mutated forces of Darkspore in a four-player co-operative and full single-player campaign, as well as intense multiplayer battles. In order to defeat the malicious Darkspore, players will need to collect an arsenal of living weapons - genetic heroes with different combat abilities - and upgrade them with tens of thousands of collectible body parts and armor.
Darkspore will feature three unique classes of five different genetic hero types, with a limitless number of upgrades and customizations available through the parts players collect on each planet level. As players progress, Darkspore builds in intensity, with new planets and enemy forces requiring players to strategically select the right squad and ability combinations to succeed in their missions.
For eons the Crogenitors traversed the galaxy, genetically transforming and sculpting living matter to their will. In their unchecked arrogance they created something they could not control - the Darkspore. Now the galaxy is under siege.
Using the powers of E-DNA, the Darkspore has transformed planetary populations into mutated hordes. Its sole purpose...to dominate life on all planets.
You are a fugitive, hidden for a millennium. Your mission...to reconstruct an arsenal of genetic heroes. And lead the battle against the Darkspore.
The time to strike back is now!
- Join the universe of Darkspore, a fast-paced, sci-fi Action-RPG in which you battle across alien worlds to save the galaxy from the mutated forces of Darkspore.
- Fight in co-op and solo battles against hordes of Darkspore enemies and bosses.
- Collect an arsenal of living weapons - genetic heroes with different combat abilities - and upgrade them with tens of thousands of collectible body parts and armor.
- Make your heroes truly unique and deeply customized in an enhanced version of the award-winning Spore Creature Editor.
- Pit your customized, upgraded collection of heroes in PvP arena battles against other players.
- Destroy the infestation of Darkspore and liberate the galaxy in a unique and highly replayable sci-fi action campaign.
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, July 19, 2010
Friday, July 16, 2010
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.