A Few Facts & Speculations About Steam For Mac
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 2 comments
A frequently updated forum post on the Steam forums includes a list of facts and some educated guesses about the soon to be released Mac version of the digital download service. The posting also includes some information about the games Valve Software plans to release along with Steam.
What we think/know about Steam for MacValve Software describes Mac Steam as "coming soon." Check out the links below to learn more.
Steam Forums: Mac OS X Discussion Thread
- It will require Mac OS X 10.5 or higher.
- Source games for Mac will require Mac OS X 10.5.8 or higher (Leopard), or 10.6.3 or higher (Snow Leopard).
- It will be Intel only, PowerPC will not be supported.
- Source games are not supported on the X3100 or 900-series Intel chipsets.
An anonymous source in the Beta program told me that while the X3100 and 900-series GMAs are not officially supported, you can still run Mac Portal, and get 10-15 FPS on lowest settings on the X3100.
- Steam Play means that you do not need to purchase separate Windows and Mac versions of the same game. Implementation will probably depend on the publisher.. The Steam Play icon will look like this.
- The Steam Overlay will require "Enable access for assistive devices" checked in System Preferences -> Universal Access
- (Some?) games will require the Windows Media Components for Quicktime
- Mac games will get their own category automatically.
- The Steam Store may sell Mac-exclusive games.
- It will not be released on Monday the 26th, but will come later. GameInformer allegedly pins the release to May , despite Valve announcing April.
- Steam and Source will run natively, not through Wine/Cider/Crossover/etc.
- Source will run on OpenGL.
- Mac OS X will be treated "as a tier-1 platform".
- Mac OS X and Windows users will play on the same servers, join the same lobbies, etc.
- The first Steam client for Mac OS X will be the same as the Steam version released on April 26th.
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, April 26, 2010
Friday, April 23, 2010
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.