Heroes Of Newerth Announced
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 5 comments
Independent game developer S2 Games has officially announced its third game title, Heroes of Newerth. The session-based, multiplayer, Action-RPG, is described as "heavily inspired by the popular Warcraft 3 mod, Defense of the Ancients, but with vast improvements in graphics and gameplay." In the game two teams of up to five players take on the roles of heroes and work with AI controlled armies to destroy an enemy team's base. HoN features upgradeable skills, powerful items to purchase, VOIP controls, Clan Support, and dozens of playable Hero characters from which to choose.
In Heroes of Newerth, two teams of up to five players each take on the role of a special Hero unit. With the assistance of AI-controlled armies, each team sets out with the sole objective of destroying the other team’s base. As a match progresses, players can earn experience and gold which can be used to upgrade skills or purchase items to make their character more powerful. The team-oriented design of HoN coupled with unprecedented in-game Voice-Over-IP controls and Clan Support allow for an incredibly deep, tactical team-based experience.Heroes of Newerth is currently in closed beta and will should be available to the public in Q4 2009 on Mac, Windows and Linux for $30.00 (USD). Learn more about the game at the sites below.
S2 Games is best known for its critically acclaimed online multiplayer Savage franchise (Savage: The Battle for Newerth and Savage 2: A Tortured Soul), which created the RTSS (real-time strategy-shooter) genre. Heroes of Newerth is the vision of S2 Games CEO and Founder, Marc DeForest, who after years as a die-hard fan, set out to create a standalone version of Defense of the Ancients (DotA) that would incorporate all of the features he felt were lacking, while still remaining true to the frenetic, yet heavily team-reliant style of gameplay that had kept him hooked for so long. In the short three months of closed beta there have been over 1.3 million matches played. There are over 350,000 registered beta players and the game sees upwards of 25,000 concurrent players during peak hours.
“All of us at S2 are extremely excited and passionate about HoN and we know that this is going to be a breakthrough title for us,” said Marc DeForest, CEO and Founder, S2 Games. “We’ve been passionate about our games in the past, but we’ve always attempted innovative, groundbreaking, and unproven ideas. This time around we have proof in advance that people want to play this type of game, so we’re that much more excited about delivering it!”
Some of the unique features of HoN include the following:
• Dozens of playable Hero characters, over 100 items as well as regular content updates to ensure no two games of HoN will ever be the same.
• Client/Server Architecture eliminates lag, cheats and map hacking
• Quick reconnect feature allows players to jump right back into their game should they get disconnected
• In-game VOIP for fast and easy communication with teammates
• Game archives and replay support for all games played on official servers (players can rewind, slow down, fast forward, and otherwise pinpoint the exact part of a match that they wish to view)
• Built upon the proprietary K2 engine to deliver enhanced graphics while maintaining low system specs
• Powerful map editor and mod capabilities
• Available in six language translations: English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese and Russian.
• Available for PC, Mac, and Linux
Heroes Of Newerth
Recent Mac Games News
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Monday, August 31, 2009
Friday, August 28, 2009
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.