November 24, 2017
Archives  News  Eschalon Book II: Area Size, Weapon Characteristics, Imbuing  


Monday, August 17, 2009
 

Click to enlarge
Eschalon Book II: Area Size, Weapon Characteristics, Imbuing
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story

Basilisk Games has released a new series of answers to fan questions about the upcoming RPG, Eschalon: Book II. The Q&A covers a variety of topics related to the game including the size of the land, special weapon characteristics, and item Imbuing in Book II.

You mentioned three major regions for Book II, a temperate region, arctic region, and a volcanic region. About how large are these regions in comparison to the familiar Thaermore? In adddition, about how long can we expect this game to be? (ballpark estimate if necessary)
The main region of Mistfell, where 60% of Book II is played, is about the size of Thaermore in Book I. The other two regions make up the remaining *40%. This doesn't include dungeons.

*Note that the arctic region (the Northland Expanse) is actually HUGE, but not all of it will be mapped and explorable. I don't think that too many players would enjoy crossing 30 screens of white-out blizzard conditions where not a single living thing exists. Well, except for the dreaded Ogrin. Yeah, you don't want none of that.

In book I, it seemed like chosing which weapon type to train in was almost trivial - the only in-game consequence I could discern was some weapon groups have unique/higher level weapons avaliable earlier in the game than others. In Book II, will there be any more distinction between the different weapon type?.
Yes. Most notable are things like Hammers and Axes being more durable, and gives you bonuses when bashing items. Swords are less durable and require more maintenance, but come in more varieties. Piercing weapons are the lowest damage-inducing of the group, yet once highly skilled you can deliver multiple strikes per round making them highly attractive. Thrown weapons are priced and configured to be a more useful choice.

There are likely to be additional differences in weapons when the game is final. We are always playing around with this sort of thing.

However, as we were able to imbue items in Book 1, but were not able to imbue with abilities I am wondering if that is something that would be/has been added to Book 2. What I mean is you can find items with +2 to move silent, +2 to pick locks....etc, but we couldn't create those stat/skill modifiers when imbuing. I think this would be a great addition and give a person more thought in how they imbued their items.
Imbuing items has been expanded and updated. As of now it doesn't include Imbuing of Skills. We'll see what we have time for.

Ultimately, Book II will be a bit better at handling updates than Book I was. So, if the game ships and there is some feature (such as Skill Imbuing) that doesn't make it in before we go gold, there is always the possibility of adding it afterward via a patch. I do plan on offering a few "bonus content" patches in the months after the game ships to keep interest up (and thus revenue flow) while we work on Book III.

Head over to the link below to read all the answers.

Basilisk Games Forums: Book II Q&A
Basilisk Games
Eschalon: Book II
Buy Eschalon: Book II


Other Mac Games News for Monday, August 17, 2009

Cruising The Wasteland In Rage6:00 AM
• Eschalon Book II: Area Size, Weapon Characteristics, Imbuing6:00 AM
EVE Online Apocrypha 1.5 Coming August 206:00 AM
Quake Live For Mac Launches Tomorrow6:00 AM
 
View all of the Mac games news for Monday, August 17, 2009 on one page

Mac Games News for Friday, August 14, 2009

City Of Heroes: More Issue 16 Details, New Screenshots6:00 AM
Isotope 244 YouTube Video Contest Underway6:00 AM
QuantZ Action Puzzler Now Available6:00 AM
StarCraft II: First Person Shooter Custom Maps Possible?6:00 AM
 
View all of the Mac games news for Friday, August 14, 2009 on one page


Recent Mac Games News

Thursday, August 13, 2009
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009
Friday, August 7, 2009


Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.



Archives  News  Eschalon Book II: Area Size, Weapon Characteristics, Imbuing