EVE Online: Apocrypha Launches Today
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Today is the release date for CCP Games' EVE Online: Apocrypha, the next free expansion for the company's sci-fi MMO. Apocrypha will feature new wormholes, the production of Tech 3 modular ships, NPC agents capable of assigning epic mission arcs, a reworked New Player Experience, and the arrival of Premium Graphics for Mac users. The expansion's release coincides with the release of a retail version of EVE Online, which includes the new Premium graphics client for Mac in the box.
The improvements for Apocrypha include:The website below contains a full feature list, links to blogs on specific features, interviews with developers, screenshots, and a teaser trailer for those interested in learning more about EVE Online: Apocrypha.
EVE Online: Apocrypha
• Explore and dominate more than 2,400 solar systems that exist on the other side of unstable wormholes opening up throughout New Eden. New scanning mechanics allow you to find and explore them in the first truly uncharted space in EVE.
• Wormholes aren't the only thing to discover. Booster sites, archeological digs, hacking sites, gas clouds and salvaging sites are some of the surprises in store for those pilots skilled in scanning exploration.
• The Sleepers, a new NPC race, protect an ancient technology within the wormhole-space. They exhibit intelligence unlike any enemy yet found in new Eden, requiring pilots to react to their deadly, shifting tactics.
• Tech 3 strategic cruisers are the first ship class to arise from reverse engineered technology gleaned from wormhole space fueling their production. Their modular nature allows for a broad level of customization of both ship appearance and performance.
• The New Player Experience has been rebuilt from the ground up with improved tutorials and an easier introduction to possible "career" paths. Rookie starship pilots will find it smoother than ever to become a force to be reckoned with in the limitless world of New Eden.
• The introduction of Epic Mission Arcs, huge branching mission sagas, are designed to give new pilots a tour across many regions of space and bring them out the other end, battle-hardened and knowledgeable about the EVE universe.
• Hundreds of visual aspects in the game have been renovated, including almost every effect in game. All new assets make up the massive wormhole spaces, such as new NPC structures and gorgeous nebulas. Space just keeps looking better with age.
• With further performance increases, optimizations and graphics upgrades, we bid farewell to our Classic Graphics Client as players across all platforms begin to enjoy the beauty of Premium Lite.
• Mac owners rejoice! EVE will now be available to you in all of its Premium graphics glory.
• Character attributes can now be rearranged in order to diversify or specialize skill training with Attribute Remapping, perfect for a veteran who needs to switch focus or a new player who's just discovered a different niche.
• Players can now schedule automatic training of multiple skills with an original skill queue planning interface designed for maximum efficiency.
• A redesigned Ship Fitting Panel screen allows for more information when kitting out your ship. The ability to export both ship fittings and overview settings means that you can share your best configurations with your friends or you can quickly re-fit a replacement ship to head back into battle.
• The Audio Engine allows more flexibility for our sound designers, meaning a complete revamp of a lot of audio effects including warping, jumpgates and cloaking. Brand new sounds will also grace Apocrypha's new visual effects.
• Our efforts to bring EVE closer to everyone's home continue with the localized Russian client coming out of beta testing to full support.
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, March 6, 2009
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Monday, March 2, 2009
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.