Quake 3 1.27 Point Release Available
2:49 PM | Lucian Fong | Comment on this story
As promised last night by Graeme Devine, the 1.27 point release for Quake 3: Arena was made available to the public today. Graeme still considers the update beta quality though, as he still needs to add GameRanger support and iron out a few bugs. Here is a list of changes that are included in the new point release.
- fixed setting "sv_maxclients 0" causes crash upon match restart when the server is full with clientsKeep in mind that these changes were made to the 1.25 point release, which Mac users never recieved. For the full list of changes from version 1.17 to 1.27g, refer to the readme included with the point release.
- fixed sometimes getting spawned into others in tournament mode
- fixed "sudden death" and "5 minute warning" sounds overlapping on server entry
- optimized file system memory usage, can now easily load 100+ pk3 files
- fixed icon heads when loading a map in teamplay
- fixed several zone memory leaks causing Z_MALOC failure
- fixed auto weapon switch when picking up the weapon held before a map restart
- fixed falling off map due to old movement after map_restart
- fixed chatting from dedicated server console
- added better error handling to auto-downloading
- added "noglobalsound" option for items
- improved bot AI
- fixed bots taking same path through enemy base in CTF
- fixed bot gauntlet usage
- cg_forceModel works without vid_restart
- CD keys no longer overwritten
- Typing % in chat text causes the client to be disconnected with an illegible server message
- Removed Global Rankings support. We are currently investigating the best approach to properly integrate Global Rankings into Quake III Arena and Quake III: Team Arena
- Various speed tweaks
- VM Optimazation to bring vm speed closer to DLL speed
Overall, Quake 3 "seems" smoother, due probably to the optimizations Graeme has made to the Mac version. The timedemo function has changed; you now create benchmarks by typing "demo [demofilename]" with the name of the demo. Be sure and post your benchmarks in our fourms.
Graeme also updated his .plan file today with news concerning the point release and the Mac version of Team Arena:
This version is compatible with protocol 48 and Team Arena. I'll provide a second installer for taking a Windows Team Arena CD-ROM and copying the files into your Quake3 directory to enable Team Arena support on the Mac (well, basically, copy the pak0.pk3 file into a directory called missionpack under the application and you're good to go, but the installer will make this even easier).It appears now that any plans for a boxed version of Mac Team Arena have been canceled.
Download Mac Quake 3: Arena 1.27 PR (8.4 MB)
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, December 15, 2000
Thursday, December 14, 2000
Wednesday, December 13, 2000
Tuesday, December 12, 2000
Monday, December 11, 2000
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.