Diablo II Ships for PC
12:15 PM | Michael Eilers | Comment on this story
Bearing the humble tag-line of "Most Anticipated Game of the Year" on its press release, this much-delayed, endlessly previewed and indeed much anticipated sequel has finally shipped for PC. This monstrous game, offering months of gameplay with the solo scenario alone, also offers an infinite number of Internet allies and foes to play with or against.
Why is this good news for Mac gamers? It means the final code is in the hands of Blizzard North/Future point, ready for inclusion into their Mac OS port of the game. While the expected date for this port is still the vague "Q3 2000," it is worth noting that this particular period starts early next month. Here is the press release for the PC launch:
Blizzard Entertainment announced today that Diablo II, We expect to see the Mac version of this game up and running at Macworld New York next month. In related news, we have been able to confirm that there will be no Mac version of the Diablo II Collector's Edition, a version with a slightly higher price that includes a DVD of several cinematics and other such items. For more information about this realtime RPG, make sure you check out Part One of our huge Diablo II preview - Part Two is coming tomorrow, with some exclusive information on the Mac version.
its highly anticipated real-time action role-playing game, has started shipping to stores worldwide.
The game, which has initial orders of 2 million copies, will start arriving at retailers
by the end of the week.
In Diablo II, players return to a dark world plagued by evil forces. After possessing the body of
the hero who defeated him, Diablo resumes his nefarious scheme to shackle humanity into unholy
slavery by joining forces with the other Prime Evils, Mephisto and Baal. Players face a new series
of quests to rid the world of Diablo and his vile brethren forever.
"Diablo II is our most ambitious undertaking to date," said Mike Morhaime, Blizzard Entertainment
president and co-founder, "From the depth of each character class and the size of each act to the
expansion of Battle.netŪ's new worldwide architecture and the number of languages for which we
localized the game, the scope of Diablo II is much larger than any of our past projects."
Key features in the game include:
- Five all new character classes -- the Amazon, Paladin, Barbarian, Sorceress and Necromancer -- each with unique skills and abilities. In all, Diablo II offers 150 special abilities as each character can develop 30 unique, class specific skills and spells throughout the game.
- Four expansive towns to explore complete with wilderness areas, dungeons, monasteries, tombs, caverns and crypts.
- A randomly generated world with filled with more than 20 quests, weapons, armor, monsters, unique items and non-playing characters.
- Nearly 25 minutes of motion picture quality cinematics and a 70-minute original score of ambient music.
- Full multiplayer support for up to eight players and expanded Battle.net support with servers on land in North America, Europe and Asia.
- Optional 3Dfx and Direct3D support that offers near-perfect perspective, including scaling and parallax effects, to the game play experience.
IMG's Diablo II Preview Part One
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.