7:53 AM | Cord Kruse | 8 comments
MacGlide, a GNU shared library for Mac computers that emulates 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics hardware, was recently updated to 0.11. The library makes it possible to run games originally made for 3Dfx/Glide by translating the function calls to OpenGL. The MacGlide beta works with games such as Tomb Raider 3, Carmageddon, and Deus Ex.
Here's the complete update list:
New Features:To try out the MacGlide beta and learn more about the project follow the links below.
- New rendering engine (more accurate than in 0.10.1) allows better quality on suitable graphics cards (ATI 7500 and later or similar NVidia cards). Also fixes some rendering glitches such as the haze in Falcon 4.0 (which didn't show up in 0.10.1). To get the higher quality rendering, you need a graphics card with at least 3 texture units, for example an ATI Radeon 7500. Smaller cards like NVidia GForce2mx or ATI Rage 128 will still use the simple rendering mode, and things will continue to look like in 0.10.1.
- Full Scene AntiAliasing (FSAA) for ATI chips (only in the Classic environment)
- Global texture smoothing and mipmapping
- Tweaked a code a little to gain more speed on slower systems
- Original 3dfx-splash animation is displayed when starting a game in order to achive a more authentic appearence.
- Better resource management
- Menu backgrounds in Carmageddon 2
- Fa/18 Korea looks better (but is still not playable).
- If the exact screen size isn't found, MacGLide tries to choose a slightly larger one.
- Tomb Raider 3: The in-game menu background now shows the current game scene in black & white.
- Objects in Carmageddon (and probably other games) don't loose their transparency anymore when the fog becomes thicker.
- Tomb Raider 1 Gold: Switching to the In-Game menu got a bit faster.
- Less white screen appearence during screen resolution changes
- Improved memory management hopefully fixes sudden exits in Falcon 4.0 that happended to some users when firing a rocket.
- Haze in Falcon 4.0 rendered correctly.
- Translucent Menu backgrounds in Tomb Raider 1 Gold.
- Translucent Lightnings in Tomb Raider 1 Gold.
- Fixed the multicolored skidmarks in Carmageddon (Splatpack).
Recent Mac Games News
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Monday, November 28, 2005
Friday, November 25, 2005
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.