Rune Reaches 'Gold' Status
10:58 AM | IMG News | Comment on this story
The official site for this third-person melee combat title has been updated with the news that Rune has 'gone gold' for the PC and will be in stores very soon. Golden Master status of course means that the final version of the game is complete and only awaits duplication and boxing before distribution.
This highly-anticipated Viking-inspired title has made many a gamer's fingers twitch with the desire to wield a great big axe. The Mac version of this title is being ported by Westlake Interactive, and will also be published by Gathering of Developers; at last word the Mac version was very near Beta status, and we expect it to follow the PC version by a month or less.
Here's an excerpt from the press release:
Human Head Studios today announced that Rune, its upcoming 3D game of intense action and adventure steeped in a blend of Norse mythology and high-fantasy, has gone gold. The PC version will be available at the end of October with a Mac version shipping to stores in November. Rune is being published by developer-driven computer and video game publisher Gathering of Developers.We'll keep you updated on the status of the Mac version of this title. Be sure and visit the Rune web site for more details and screen shots.
Rune transports gamers into the Dark Ages, when the Vikings were the conquerors of a cold, dismal world, and stark religion ruled all of the northern lands. Taking on the role of Ragnar, a rugged young Viking warrior, players are challenged to fight off creatures from Nordic mythology and uncover an evil perpetrator who is annihilating the Viking population. Rune utilizes an enhanced version of Epic Games' Unreal Tournament game engine and features amazingly life-like animations, in-game cinema sequences, a detailed weapon system, custom Artificial Intelligence and a unique combat system.
Rune's features include:
- 43 Single Player Levels
- 15 unique weapons including swords, axes and bashing weapons each with their own unique magic power that can be unlocked in play
- Multiplayer DeathMatch and Team DeathMatch modes
- 21 different multiplayer characters to choose from
- Seven custom-built multiplayer levels
- Five multiplayer mutator modes, including Low Gravity, No PowerUps, Fatboy, reduced Damage, and Left-Handed
- Customizable maplists and rule settings
- 12 Classes of enemies with multiple variations for over 30 different enemy types in the game
- Five Distinctly different settings from a Mountain Fortress, to the Deepest Cavern to the pits of Hel's domain
- Combat system lets players take weapons from their defeated opponents.
- Visual inventory that allows the character to see available weapons at a glance.
Rune Web Site
Rune Goes Gold Press Release
Gathering of Developers
Human Head Studios
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, October 5, 2000
Wednesday, October 4, 2000
Tuesday, October 3, 2000
Monday, October 2, 2000
Friday, September 29, 2000
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.