|Wednesday, April 17, 2013|
Play Ball! Out Of The Park Baseball 14 Now Available
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 1 comment
Out of the Park Developments has announced the release of Out of the Park Baseball 14. The latest edition of the popular baseball simulation features 2013 major league rosters, a completely recoded player origin system, new fielding ratings development system, better player development tracking, and an expanded real-time simulation experience.
OOTP 14 lets players run a major league team from top to bottom, setting lineups and pitching rotations, determining defensive and offensive strategies, and making dozens of game-time decisions, such as when to steal a base or employ a hit-and-run. A play-by-play text stream, combined with a visual representation of what's happening on the field and such audio effects as the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd, make an OOTP game session feel like a radio broadcast.OOTP 14 is available now for Mac, Windows and Linux PCs for $39.99.
Between games, players define scouting budgets, make trades, handle the amateur draft, scour the waiver wire, sign free agents, negotiate contract extensions, demote underperforming players to the minors and call up hot prospects, manage team finances, and more. Many tasks can be delegated to computer-controlled personnel, letting players focus on the aspects of baseball management that appeal to them most.
OOTP also features solo or online play, an historical mode featuring all seasons from 1871 through 2012, the ability to create custom leagues stocked with fictional players, a staggering set of league reports, and a realistic statistical engine based on modern baseball theory such as DIPS (Defense Independent Pitching Statistics).
Athletes perform in a consistent, realistic manner over ten, twenty, even fifty or more simulated years, letting players watch as their own Hall of Fame grows before their eyes. OOTP's innovative FaceGen feature also allows players' images to automatically change with age and when they switch teams.
OOTP 14 runs on the PC, Mac, and Linux operating systems and offers the following new features:
- 2013 major league teams and rosters, with player ratings officially based on Baseball Prospectus' PECOTA projection system, which has proven to be the most accurate player stats projection system on the market.
- All levels of minor league rosters, with thousands of real players. OOTP 14 also includes more real June draft prospects than ever before, with hundreds of them featured this year.
- A completely recoded player origin system, with five different methods for players to enter the league: the First-Year Player Draft, with the option to tweak nationalities; International Amateur Top Prospects, who are usually 16 or 17 years old; Established International Free Agents, allowing GMs to discover their own Ichiro or Yu Darvish; International Scouting Discoveries; and Players From Independent Leagues.
- Recoded player creation algorithms that ensure more stable long-term simulations and more realistic player careers and stats output.
- A new fielding ratings development system that reflects the reality that players typically shift to the right side of the defensive spectrum as they age. For example, a highly-talented shortstop may end up becoming a below-average corner outfielder during the waning years of his career.
- A recoded scouting system and better player development tracking.
- More information in the Real-Time Simulation mode introduced in OOTP 13. Now players can view the current batter-pitcher matchup, past plays, win probability, and more.
- Improved AI trading, along with a "Not Interested in Player X" function that prevents the AI from repeatedly offering the same player. Many other aspects of the AI, including roster management and contract negotiation, have been improved too.
- An improved interface that includes a new graphical depth chart screen, a new playoff analysis screen, better depth charts and pitching staff control, a "Pitch to Contact" option when playing out games, and more.
- Many more added features, including a Free Agent Draft, Achievements, one-click joining of online leagues, many more storylines, and other enhancements.
Out Of The Park Baseball 14
Buy Out Of The Park Baseball 14
Incredipede Now At MGS
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Northway Games' Incredipede is available for download and purchase now at Mac Game Store. The puzzler challenges players to help Quozzle on a quest to rescue her sisters. Possessed of the unique ability to grow new limbs when necessary, Quozzle can transform into a variety of forms to negotiate the game's 120 levels spanning 3 worlds.
Incredipede is a puzzle game that celebrates the vast diversity of life in the world. The game follows Quozzle, a lone Incredipede on a quest to rescue her sisters. She has a unique ability to grow new arms and legs wherever she needs them, transforming into a snake, a spider, a horse, a monkey - anything you can imagine. You can give her antlers or a tail, use nature as a blueprint or strike out in weird new directions. Control Quozzle as she learns to swing through the trees, climb sheer cliffs, dance over rivers of lava, and even soar through the air on thermal winds.Incredipede is available now for $9.99 (USD).
Incredipede was made by a small team headed by Colin Northway, author of Fantastic Contraption. It was written while traveling in over a dozen countries including Honduras, Turkey, Japan, and Costa Rica.
- Make and control a staggering array of creatures
- 120 levels in three beautifully crafted worlds
- Send your creatures to your friends to try to control
- Use the Level Editor to create your own puzzles
- Immersive ambient soundscape
- Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- 1.6 GHz Intel Processor
Survive The Natural World In Shelter
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 1 comment
Stockholm based Might and Delight, developer of retro styled platformer Pid, has announced development of Shelter. Described as an "original emotional experience" the game puts players in the role of an animal mother fighting for the survival of her cubs. It is scheduled for release on Mac and Windows PCs in 2013.
“It's our ambition to create an experience of immersion by making you feel exposed and vulnerable in the sometimes unforgiving hands of the wild”, says Andreas Wangler, lead level and game designer, Might and Delight.Click over to the links below to view a teaser trailer and learn more about the game.
As the mother of a litter of cubs you are forced out from familiar and safe surroundings to find new shelter in a beautiful, but dangerous world. The harsh reality of nature plays a pivotal role in the game whilst at the same time Shelter aims to pay a homage to the great outdoors and all its imposing beauty.
“We are not saying nature is cruel, however what the mother and her cubs will experience is simply a fact of life” Andreas continues. “There are no boss fights in this game. No good or evil elements. It´s simply about survival and protecting your offspring”
Safety is lost, go find Shelter.
Might and Delight
Shelter Teaser Trailer
Kickstarting Lex Laser Saves The Galaxy, Again
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Defiant Mouse recently sent us an email about a new Kickstarter campaign to fund Lex Laser Saves The Galaxy, Again. The game is described as a turn-based "sci-fi tactical puzzle RPG designed for busy people," and puts players in the role of a sentient combat implant which aids its host, Lex Laser, in defeating hordes of enemies.
Who is Lex Laser?Defiant Mouse is seeking $65,000 in funding before the campaign's May 10 deadline. Head over to the page below to learn more.
Lex Laser is an asteroid miner with a knack for getting into sticky situations.
Recent advances in affordable warp drive technology have opened up new frontiers at the edge of human controlled space. Settlers brave the unknown to form new colonies, while the more independent souls homestead alone on distant worlds.
With a fervor reminiscent of the Gold Rush, fortune-seekers mine asteroid fields for rare elements and search alien ruins for valuable technology. But there are scary things in those ruins, things that we don’t really understand. Things better left alone, perhaps.
In this new frontier, Lex Laser is a legend. S/he is Paul Bunyan, Annie Oakley, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, Calamity Jane, Davy Crockett.
Lex Laser is the lone conscript who fought off 300 zologs in the Battle of Hilbert 5. Lex Laser is the only human to have been made an honorary member of the Vkesti Immortal Council. Lex Laser released, caught, survived, and cured the final outbreak of Smallpox IV. Lex Laser dug up a fortune in alien artifacts in the asteroids around Rigel - and lost it all three days later.
It's hard to be a living tall tale. Despite the fame, or perhaps because of it, Lex Laser just wants to be left alone. Lex Laser doesn't want to save the galaxy, but sometimes, you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that's when you have to act.
As the player, you take on the role of Lex Laser's sentient combat implant. You are the secret behind Lex Laser's greatest victories.
- Play at your own pace, deploying area-of-effect weapons in highly visual tactical puzzles.
- Completely rebuild your weapons between Episodes.
- Explore a blend of procedurally generated and hand-crafted gameplay.
- Enjoy a quick challenge in Puzzle mode.
- Live with the consequences of your actions in Adventure Mode.
- Special design considerations for parents and other busy people: Easily pick up where you left off, and don't worry if your kids see your screen.
You are Lex Laser's combat implant, the secret of his/her success. Lex Laser may be an expert technician, spaceship mechanic, and sometime scientist, but when the going gets tough, you take over.
You direct Lex Laser in a 2d game world. Lex Laser will be fighting hordes of zarbats, mining explosive crystals, running away from angry robots, looting a scuttled dreadnaught, or exploring an alien ruin, and more.
Lex Laser is turn based. There are no twitch elements to this game.
Most tactical games rely heavily on numbers to express their core concepts. A tough creature will have more hit points, and the only way to deal with that is to do more damage. In Lex Laser, most foes just take one hit, but there are lots of them.
Lots and lots of them.
Your challenge is to deal with your enemies quickly, before they overwhelm you. At higher difficulties, your challenge is to deal with your enemies efficiently, before you run out of ammo. You do this by choosing the right weapon for the situation, and placing your shots carefully. If you are only destroying one enemy per turn, you are probably falling behind.
The result is a blend of tactical combat game and puzzle game.
Finally, we'll keep you on your toes with variations on the basic combat system. We'll mingle combat objectives with story objectives, forcing you to make trade-offs.
Between missions, you use the various technological items and alien artifacts you have found to improve your arsenal. You won't have to guess at recipes, though. Lex Laser is a top-notch technician, and can stick almost any mod onto any weapon.
For example, the Orthobarrel mod adds a second projectile to every shot from a gun, but always 90 degrees to the right of the main shot, and the gun will take twice as much ammo per shot. Stack the Explosive Ammo on top of that, and you can turn your simple pistol into a mini-multi-grenade launcher. That's fantastic until you find yourself in a museum filled with fragile crystal sculptures - then you might want to go back to the base model.
You will also find (or build) sensors, such as a tactical readout that predicts enemy actions, or a life detector that can give you hints about where to go to rescue that last refugee.
This equipment mechanic is the primary way Lex Laser improves as the game goes on, so a little creativity here can go a long way.
Lex Laser Saves The Galaxy, Again Kickstarter
Recent Mac Games News
Monday, April 15, 2013
Friday, April 12, 2013
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.