The Lord Of The Rings Online Comes To Mac
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 20 comments
Turbine has officially announced the launch of a Mac beta client for The Lord of the Rings Online. The online game incarnation of the classic Lord of the Rings fantasy series is a free to play MMO which gives players the chance to build a character from one of four races, and seven unique classes.
“We are really excited to open up the world of Middle-earth to Mac,” said Kate Paiz, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online. “We’ve just launched our biggest expansion yet and we’re happy to welcome gamers to play the game natively on Mac OS X for the first time ever.”The Unofficial Apple Weblog recently posted an interview with Turbine's VP of Product Development, Craig Alexander about the game's transition to Mac. Among other things Alexander discussed the company's decision to build a native mac port in-house.
The Lord of the Rings Online™ is the ultimate adventure! This award-winning free-to-play massively multiplayer online role-playing game delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places, and monsters from the most famous fantasy of all time.
Turbine first considered bringing Lord of the Rings Online to Mac back when the game went free-to-play, said Alexander, but the reason it took so long was because the company decided to build a native port for the game rather than depend on emulation or other similar methods. "Trying to outsource the task just didn't make sense," said Alexander.Learn more at the links below.
Lord Of The Rings Online (add to watch list)
Kate Paiz is the executive producer of the game, and she said that because the Mac client is native, it'll be the exact same game on the Mac as it is on the PC. "It'll all just work natively," she told TUAW. "The Mac stuff will work through the same patcher." The Mac game itself won't have any extra features or experiences exclusive to the Mac, but Paiz said the team always tries to figure out how to best welcome new players, and was thinking about the Mac client even while developing the game's latest expansion, Riders of Rohan, released a few weeks ago.
TUAW: LOTR Online Interview
LOTR Online Mac Tech Support Forum
Divinity: Original Sin Gameplay Trailer Unveiled
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 3 comments
In honor of Halloweeen Larian Studios recently unveiled a new gameplay trailer for the upcoming Divinity: Original Sin, a new role playing game for Mac and Windows set in the world of the Divinity Series. Showcasing ways in which players can combine items to make new items, the trailer depicts the creation of a pumpkin helmet. Divinity: Original Sin will feature an isometric 3D viewpoint, a party of adventurers to control, turn based combat, and an easy to use toolset for modding the game.
The orcs of Tanoroth are on the march, wielding magic never seen before: bloody, deadly, reality?bending. The free nations of Rivellon are about to fall beneath their blades. Yet there are two unlikely heroes who can resist this savage magic: a condemned warrior released from his chains and a mystic heroine restored to life. Will they be strong enough to cope with the sins of their past? And will they be strong enough to counter the even greater threat that hides behind the marching orcs?Check out the trailer at the link below.
Divinity: Original Sin Halloween Trailer
- PLAY WITH TWO LEAD CHARACTERS: Discover who they are and what terrible truth binds them.
- Enjoy the freedom of CLASS?FREE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT with plenty of unique skills, weapons and equipment.
- SUMMON AND RECRUIT other characters and creatures to complement your party.
- EXPLORE A LARGE AND DENSE WORLD: filled with quests, special moments and memorable characters.
- DISCOVER A WEALTH OF ITEM INTERACTION: if it’s not nailed to the ground, it can be moved, used or combined.
- Pursue the freedom and explore the depth of role?playing where CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES MATTER.
- TURN?BASED COMBAT SYSTEM adds tactical edge and depth to your role?playing experience.
- USE SKILL AND SPELL COMBOS to make your attacks more effective.
- MAKE USE OF THE TERRAIN DURING COMBAT: exploit the environment to gain the upper hand in battles.
- DEVELOP COOPERATIVE SKILLS AND SPELLS: a party acting as a well?honed team can prevail over superior forces.
- EXPERIENCE COOPERATIVE MULTIPLAYER MODE: fight and explore together, develop your characters individually.
- DISCOVER THE COOPERATIVE DIALOGUE SYSTEM: you don’t necessarily need to agree with each other.
- BUILD YOUR OWN ADVENTURES: powerful toolset allows the community to create and share new adventures online.
- ENJOY THE DIVINE MUSIC OF KIRILL POKROVSKY: the award?winning composer of all previous Divinity games.
- DIVE INTO THE DIVINITY UNIVERSE: the story of Original Sin is the prequel to the events of Divine Divinity.
Divinity: Original Sin (add to watch list)
How To Make Choices Interesting In Games
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Jeff Vogel has posted a new article on his Bottom Feeder blog. This time Spiderweb Software's popular RPG creator offered his thoughts on choices in games, specifically how to make the choices interesting to players. The blog was inspired by a question asked at a PAX Prime panel on indie role-playing games.
1. The options need to be clear.Read more at the page linked below.
The Bottom Feeder: What Makes A Choice Interesting?
The player needs to understand very clearly what is being decided. Suppose that the player is deciding whether some army stays behind to defend a city or goes off to attack the enemy. The player needs to know what is being decided, exactly how to choose each option, and what the possible consequences of each choice are.
2. The options need to be distinct.
The choices need to be clearly different from each other. Otherwise, the act of making a decision isn't satisfying. A good example of where this often wasn't done was in Mass Effect 3. Shepard, the player's main character, was often asked about attacking the enemy, and the choices often came down to, "Yes, we must destroy them!" and "Certainly, we must slay them now!" All I could think at these points was, "Shut up, Shepard."
3. All of the obvious options are available.
You can't cover all the options. We aren't trying to write an AI or simulate an entire world here. But we can't let the player feel frustrated because some obvious option was neglected. Suppose, for example, you catch a poacher out in the woods and are trying to decide what to do with him. Let Him Go, Turn Him In, Kill Him, and Talk To Him First To Find Out His Situation should all be expected choices.
Spiderweb Software (add to watch list)
The Good Life Now Available
6:00 AM | IMG News | Comment on this story
The Good Life from Iceberg Interactive is now available from Mac Game Store. The free roaming simulation allows players to enter a 3D tropical environment to play a combination of gameplay styles including ship simulation, time management, and tycoon. The game features more than 50 harbors to expore, six different ship types, and realistic weather conditions.
The Good Life is a free roaming simulation set in a visually stunning 3D tropical environment. Play an intriguing combination of gameplay styles; part ship simulation, part time- management, part tycoon and 100% fun. a villa ashore, your own yacht, a stunning sunset, sandy beaches and see-through waters. live the life you always dreamed of on your way to becoming the area’s top dog.The game is available to pre-order now for $19.95 (USD). It will require Mac OS X 10.5 or later and an Intel Mac.
The Good Life (add to watch list)
Like so many, Derek Hales is fed up and is dreaming about ditching the nine-to-five lifestyle. When he learns that his late uncle made him the sole heir of “Carpe Diem Boats”, a boat- ing company on the tropical com- plex of the Jo Jo islands, he doesn’t hesitate for a second. A new life awaits ! After a long voyage, he and his striking girlfriend Michelle Joyce finally arrive at their destination, enjoying the beautiful sunrise, with a Boating Company of their own. Compared to the dull office life, this new life looks much better. Finally but suddenly, life is good !
- With an array of luxury vessels at your disposal, take on various missions across ultra-realistic tropical waters, in order to make your fortune.
- Experience vast, beautiful tropical locations, with more than 50 harbours and dozens of diverse places to explore.
- Become an adept skipper and progress across 6 different ship types.
- Realistic weather conditions and 24hr day/night cycle.
- Seek treasures in the deep, rescue people from drowning, avoid pirate attacks and become rich and famous!
- Use your earnings to build your commercial empire - buy and sell properties in this tropical paradise – progress from sun beds, beach houses and bungalows, to restaurants, villas and even hotels.
- Play against 9 other NPC ‘Skippers’ who compete for business against you – become the best skipper, earn more money and become the ultimate tycoon of the JoJo Islands!
Buy The Good Life
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, November 1, 2012
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Monday, October 29, 2012
Friday, October 26, 2012
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.