Running Good Old Games On Modern Macs, Starting With XIII
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 11 comments
Inside Mac Games has posted the first articles in a new series by contributing writer Justin Ancheta. The new guides will offer detailed instructions for running Windows versions of game titles which either never made it to Macs, or have Mac versions incompatible with recent OS releases. Starting with Ubisoft's XIII, the articles focus on games available from GOG.com, and include instructions for using CrossOver and Wineskin to enjoy the titles on a modern Mac.
A year after the release of XIII on Windows, Feral Entertainment released the Mac-native port of XIII, to generally good reviews by those in the Mac press. The Mac release of XIII was arguably the definitive version of the game; Feral included some beautiful high-res desktops made by Brad Custer (of Inside Mac Gamesí Custerís Corner fame) as well as the soundtrack in the form of Redbook CD audio tracks. Feral even went to the trouble of releasing the Mac version with additional multiplayer modes seen only in the XBox/PS2 version, and also included higher-resolution graphics for the distinctive in-game comic panels. Sadly, this was all left behind with the great Intel switch, as Feral never released a Universal Binary patch for XIII. The game does supposedly work surprisingly well in Rosetta, and it is available on eBay for decent prices, but with current Macs moving forward into Lion and beyond, running a PPC binary in Rosetta will soon no longer be a viable option. Thankfully, in March of 2011, GOG re-released XIII as part of its Ubisoft catalog, and while it doesnít quite match the original Mac release, GOG's release of the original PC version of XIII runs well enough within CrossOver, even on the anemic GMA 950 powering the original generation MacBook and Mac mini.Read more at the links below.
Bringing Good Old Games To Modern Macs
Crossing Over: XIII
Crusader Kings II Now At Macgamestore
6:00 AM | IMG News | Comment on this story
Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings II is now available for purchase from Macgamestore.com. The strategy title drops players into medieval Europe as a powerful lord struggling to ensure the survival of his dynasty.
The Dark Ages might be drawing to a close, but Europe is still in turmoil. Petty lords vie against beleaguered kings who struggle to assert control over their fragmented realms. The Pope calls for a Crusade to protect the Christians in the Holy Land even as he refuses to relinquish control over the investiture of bishops - and their riches. Now is the time for greatness. Expand your demesne and secure the future of your dynasty. Fill your coffers, appoint vassals, root out traitors and heretics, introduce laws and interact with hundreds of nobles, each with their own agenda.Crusader Kings II is available now for $39.95 (USD).
A good lord will always need friends to support him. But beware, as loyal vassals can quickly turn to bitter rivals, and some might not be as reliable as they seem... Stand ready, and increase your prestige until the world whispers your name in awe. Do you have what it takes to become a Crusader King?
Crusader Kings II explores one of the defining periods in world history in an experience crafted by the masters of Grand Strategy. Medieval Europe is brought to life in this epic game of knights, schemes, and thrones...
- Start a game at any point between 1066 and 1337 and play until 1453
- Pick a Christian lord and make sure his dynasty survives as you play a succession of his descendants through the ages
- Gain Prestige for every successive character you play, furthering the glory of your Dynasty
- Expand your feudal domain - and keep it from falling apart
- Unravel the plots of your courtiers and vassals, each with their own opinions and agendas
- Take up the Cross and fight the Moor, the Heathen and the Heretic.
- Defend against the onslaught of the Mongol Horde
- Struggle with the Pope for control of the bishops
- Relive the Middle Ages with up to 32 other players in a competitive multiplayer mode
- Operating system: Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later
- Processor: Intel Core Duo Processor (2GHz or better)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Hard Disk Space: 2 GB
- Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 6750 / NVIDIA GeForce 320 / NVIDIA GeForce 9600 or higher
- Peripherals: Mouse, keyboard
Crusader Kings II
Buy Crusader Kings II
Avernum: Escape From The Pit Updated
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Spiderweb Software recently released an update for Avernum: Escape From the Pit, the company's latest fantasy RPG release. The update brings the game to version 1.0.2 and contains a variety of bug fixes and balance changes. The update is "highly recommended."
Spiderweb Software returns to its epic creation, to tell a story of imprisonment, rebellion, and the struggle for freedom against overwhelming odds. Avernum: Escape From the Pit is the first chapter in an Indie fantasy role-playing saga, the tale of desperate exiles and their battle for survival and a land to call their own.Learn more at the link below.
Avernum: Escape From The Pit Update
Avernum: Escape From the Pit features:
- Epic fantasy adventure in an enormous underworld.
- Huge outdoors and eighty towns and dungeons.
- Three separate game-winning quests. Seek safety, escape or revenge. Do just one of them or all three!
- Unique races and settings make Avernum different from any adventure out there.
- Dozens of side quests and hundreds of magical artifacts.
- Rich game system with over 50 spells and battle disciplines and a multitude of beneficial character traits to choose from.
You have been banished to the underworld, never to see the light of day again.
The surface is ruled by the cruel Emperor Hawthorne, master of the Empire. All of the known lands are subject to his brutal command. Everyone who speaks out, who misbehaves, who doesnít fit in is cast into the dark, volcanic pits of Avernum, far below the surface. There, you are expected to die, a victim of starvation, horrible monsters, or simple despair.
But not all of the Avernites have surrendered. With magic and steel, they are forging a new nation deep underground. You can join them and fight for safety. Or freedom. Or even, if you dare, revenge on the surface-worlders who tried to destroy you.
Avernum: Escape From The Pit
Buy Avernum: Escape From The Pit
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Friday, May 25, 2012
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.