Steam For Mac: Portal, Torchlight Among Initial Offerings
3:55 PM | Cord Kruse | 18 comments
Valve Software has revealed a few details about tomorrow's release of the Steam client for Mac. The company's Portal puzzle title will be the first Valve game to be made available to Mac users, while Runic Games' Torchlight will be among the first Mac friendly Steam games made available by other companies. Every Wednesday Valve will be offering additional Mac titles, each chosen to showcase specific aspects of the Steam service.
The first collection of Mac titles will demonstrate "Steam Play," which allows customers to purchase a game once and play it on all Steam supported platforms. Gamers who have previously purchased games on Steam will find them available in their account on the Mac as they are released.For more information visit the site below.
Portal, in addition to supporting Steam Play, will be the first of Valve's Source engine based games available on the Mac. Native OS/X support for the Source engine is also available immediately to licensees for use in their games.
Among the initial titles available on Wednesday will be Runic Games' critically acclaimed Torchlight. "We're very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac," said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games. "Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer. We look forward to our future games coming out on the Mac as well."
In addition to bringing the online functionality of Steam to the Mac, Valve will also make its Steamworks suite of publishing and development tools available on the Mac platform. These include product key authentication, copy protection, auto-updating, social networking, matchmaking, anti-cheat technology, and more. The features and services available in Steamworks are offered free of charge and may be used for both electronic and tangible versions of games.
Toki Tori Coming To Macs May 12
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 3 comments
Two Tribes has announced that its award winning puzzle title, Toki Tori, will be released for Macs on May 12th. The release coincides with the official release of Valve Software's Steam gaming service, which will feature Toki Tori along with several other games.
DescriptionCheck out the sites below for more information.
Toki Tori is a highly entertaining puzzle platformer like nothing you have seen before. Push your brain to the limit as you guide Toki Tori through 80 challenging levels spread over 4 mysterious worlds - collecting eggs as you go.
You are armed with an arsenal of different items and weapons including the infamous Telewarp, InstantRock™ and Slug Sucker! Combine these to solve each ingenious level - some easy, some brain-bendingly difficult!
- A wide variety of items and weapons
- 80 levels spread over 4 large worlds
- Dozens of hours of gameplay
- For all ages - accessible and hard levels available
- Catchy music and sound effects
- Additional levels not found in Wii version
- Steam Achievements
- Full screen HD graphics
- Shader effects
- 5.1 Surround Soundtrack
- Controls designed for mouse, keyboard as well as joypad
Buy Toki Tori
Mark Morgan Releases Vault Archives Fallout Soundtrack
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 4 comments
Mark Morgan has released Vault Achives, an album filled with remastered versions of the composer's Fallout 1 and 2 tracks. The 24 track album is available free from the Aural Network. Fallout and its sequel are classic RPGs set in a post apocalyptic wasteland.
Mark Morgan’s “Vault Archives” is remastered and mixed full-bandwidth soundtrack from old-classic “Fallout” games (24 tracks).Click over to the links below for more information.
NMA: Fallout Remastered OST Available
Composer: Mark Morgan
Engineered and mixed by: Vladislav Isaev
Artwork by: Redbase
Aural Network: Mark Morgan Vault Archives
Frozen Synapse Mac Beta Launched
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 1 comment
Mode 7 Games has announce the launch of the Frozen Synapse Mac Beta. The game is described as a simultaneous-turn-based tactical game in which players take turns to craft and test the perfect strategy, then execute their plans and watch the results. The game features both single and multiplayer action, a variety of guns, hand crafted maps, and a map editor.
About Frozen Synapse:Frozen Synapse is available to pre-order now. The current full release target is late 2010. Those who pre-order the game get access to the beta version as well as a free copy of the game for a friend.
Mode 7 Games
The ultimate tactical game; currently a work-in-progress by three-man UK indie development team Mode 7 Games.
You've patched in to the enemy's security system: get ready to make your plan.
You have full control over your squad, directing their every movement. At the same time, your opponent is plotting to defeat you. Plan your moves, test them out, then hit the "PRIME" button: both you and your enemy's turns are executed simultaneously.
As a brand new twist on an old genre, the game is about quick, intense tactical encounters rather than long-form strategic epics.
Every game ever played is stored on the server for viewing: we also have an instant YouTube export feature!
Want a strategy game that offers serious, deep gameplay but doesn't take months to play a match?
- Simultaneous-turn-based competitive match-oriented tactical joy!
- Multiplayer: four game modes, including Hostage Rescue and the fiendish bidding-based Secure mode...
- Single Player: Campaign Mode (coming soon), Skirmish mode and Puzzle mode
- Your units sport machine guns, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers and grenade launchers for the ultimate tactical assault
- Hand-crafted maps, random map generator AND a map editor!
- Community features: share, rate and comment on games; Daily and Global ranking system; simple, instant matchmaking
- Destructible terrain: blow a huge hole in a wall with a rocket, then send in your close-range units...
- Simple YouTube export: just enter your account details and the game will automatically encode and upload any match you choose...
- No limited installs or similar nonsense: just create an account once you've downloaded and you're good to go
- OS Requirements: OSX Leopard or later
- Ram: 512meg
- Processor/Gfx card: 1GHZ PowerPC (or Intel)
Heroes Of Newerth Will Be Released May 12
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 1 comment
S2 Games' Heroes of Newerth, the stand alone version of the Defense of the Ancients mod for Warcraft 3, is scheduled for release this Wednesday, the 12th of May. The game allows two teams of up to five players to take on the roles of heroes and work with AI controlled armies to destroy an enemy team's base. HoN will feature upgradeable skills, powerful items to purchase, VOIP controls, Clan Support, and dozens of playable Hero characters from which to choose.
“It’s been an amazing three years so far,” states Marc DeForest, CEO and Founder, S2 Games. “We’ve had such a good ride through the Beta period, now we’re looking forwards to getting the retail version out to as many people as possible. The team has put a lot into making this game the best multiplayer experience it can be, and we’re looking forwards to new and old fans alike playing and enjoying Heroes of Newerth.”Heroes of Newerth will be available for the Mac, Windows, and Linux platforms for $30.00 (Exchange rates apply). Learn more at the site below.
With over 2 million beta subscribers and an active and loyal community, HoN is poised to be the number one player in a competitive market. Including over fifty unique characters, integrated voice chat, full clan support and a quick reconnect feature amongst the myriad of improvements and tweaks, Heroes of Newerth provides the complete package that will satisfy anyone looking for an engrossing multiplayer experience.
In Heroes of Newerth, two teams of up to five players each take on the role of special Hero units. With the assistance of AI-controlled armies, each team sets out with the sole objective of destroying the other team’s base. As a match progresses, players can earn experience and gold which can be used to upgrade skills or purchase items to make their character more powerful. The team-oriented design of HoN coupled with unprecedented in-game Voice-Over-IP controls and Clan Support allow for an incredibly deep, tactical team-based experience.
Some of the unique features of HoN include the following:
- Dozens of playable Hero characters, over 100 items as well as regular content updates to ensure no two games of HoN will ever be the same.
- Client/Server Architecture eliminates lag, cheats and map hacking
- Quick reconnect feature allows players to jump right back into their game should they get disconnected
- In-game VOIP for fast and easy communication with teammates
- Game archives and replay support for all games played on official servers (players can rewind, slow down, fast forward, and otherwise pinpoint the exact part of a match that they wish to view)
- Built upon the proprietary K2 engine to deliver enhanced graphics while maintaining low system specs
- Powerful map editor and mod capabilities
- Available in six language translations: English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese and Russian.
- Available for PC, Mac, and Linux
Heroes Of Newerth
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, May 7, 2010
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Monday, May 3, 2010
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.