Eschalon Book II: Planned Features & Changes
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 3 comments
A new addition to the forums for the Basilisk Games website provides a status update on the development of Eschalon: Book II, the second game in the company's "old school" RPG series. The post provides a lengthy list of features and improvements planned for the upcoming game.
ENGINEClick over to the link below to read the full list.
Eschalon Book II Planned Features
* 1024 x 768 native resolution
* Numerous optimizations implemented which improved engine speed (up to 30%) and lowers RAM usage.
* All tiles have been re-rendered to take advantage of the higher engine resolution.
* Enhanced lighting and special effects.
* New weather effects: snow, rain, and thunderstorms. Weather isn't just a special effect; severe weather effects gameplay stats and skills.
* "Brightness Booster" option for players who are afraid of the dark.
* In-game control over sound volume has been improved
* Audio driver selectable at launch for improved hardware compatibility or the option to shut off all game sounds.
* Rebuilt timer function which should fix the problems associated with leaving your computer on for long periods of time.
* Most keyboard commands can now be remapped via .cfg file.
* The saved game location can be alerted via a statement in the .cfg file.
* Saved game function rebuilt with more redundancy and error catching to cut down on the number of bad saved games.
* Numerous updates to the scripting engine and file handling, making the game one step closer to being fully modable.
* 7 new spells; several existing spells have been altered/upgraded.
* Gender Selection (play as a male or female character).
* Selectable attack mode alters damage and accuracy based on character ability and enemy stats.
* Parry mode for defensive posturing when needed.
* New skill: Repair. Used in fixing worn equipment for better performance or increased value before selling.
* New skill: Foraging. Used to increase your chance of finding food and alchemy components during your travels.
* Significant skill rebalancing for more unified progression.
* Weapons and armor now deteriorate realistically with use (optional). Increasing your weapon and armor skills slows deterioration rate, and the Repair Skill can be used to fix damaged equipment.
* Food and Water now a factor in survival. Long treks into deep dungeons will require planning and preparation. (Optional)
* Powder kegs can now be picked up and dropped in new locations which makes for strategic game play options.
* Game world objects more dynamic: explosions and fire can affect objects; more objects are usable.
* Rebuilt the luminosity function to remove exploits. This corrects the "Torch exploit" as well as balancing "Hide in Shadow" better.
* New difficulty modes and tracked statistics add to replay value.
* New item generation function for thousands of unique weapon and armor variations.
* Difficulty settings for easier or more challenging gameplay.
Eschalon: Book II
Buy Eschalon: Book II
Coladia To Bring Point-And-Click Adventures To Mac & iPhone
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 6 comments
Coladia has announced that point and click adventure games Destination: Treasure Island and Cleopatra: a Queen's Destiny, are coming to Macintosh computers and the iPhone. Coladia has signed a publishing and distribution agreement with Nobilis and Kheops Studio to port more adventure games to the Mac and the iPhone in 2009.
Destination: Treasure Island:
Four years have passed since the end of the adventure recounted in Robert Louis Stevenson's novel. Jim Hawkins has become an upstanding adventurous young man, attentive to those around him. Imagine his surprise when, one morning, he sees a parrot enter his bedroom window : none other than Captain Flint, Long John's own companion. The bird brings him a message from his master. In the message the old pirate announces that he has buried a marvelous treasure on the secret isle where he retired : Emerald Island. Jim is going to have to hurry though. Pirates, old enemies of Long John, are on his trail.Cleopatra: a Queen's Destiny:
In this adventure game, the player will be plunged in the tormented period of the Antique Egypt. He will have to help the young new queen: Cleopatra to take the good decisions for her Empire and become the queen of kings. His quest will lead him through Alexandria and all its mythic monuments like: the Library or the Lighthouse of Alexandria.Destination: Treasure Island will be released in February 2009 as a Universal Application and will run on Intel and PowerPC G5 processors. The iPhone version will be available during the first quarter of 2009. Cleopatra: a Queen's Destiny is set to arrive in the second quarter of 2009, again as a Universal Application for Intel and PowerPC G5 processors, with the iPhone version arriving around the same time.
Follow the links below for more information.
Destination: Treasure Island
Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny
Mystic Mine Coming To Macs In February
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Koonsolo has announced that Mystic Mine, its upcoming family friendly action title, will be available for purchase and download in February. The unique action game features over 200 levels, a variety of missions, single button gameplay, and up to six players playing on one keyboard.
More information about the game:
The family friendly nature of this game makes it suitable for all ages. The difficulty of the game adapts to your skill, making sure everyone will enjoy. More than 200 levels can be played with different missions and powerups, creating unlimited hours of fun. The missions include picking up coins, bringing diamonds to tunnels, racing to flags, etc. Various pickups modify the car behaviour: a balloon makes it go up but not down, a ghost allows it to move through everything, ... . But whatever you do, avoid the dynamite!!!Visit the site below for more information about the game.
Platinum Arts Sandbox Updated
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Platinum Arts has released version 2.3 of the Platinum Arts Sandbox, a game design tool based on the Cube 2 engine that allows users to create and edit their own worlds in game, even cooperatively. In addition to bug fixes the update includes a new 3D sidescrolling mode, new hot keys, and a new in-game help section.
Updates in version 2.3:
• New 3D sidescroller Mario like mode! Also there is a seperate RPG project, check the wiki!Head over to the page linked below for more information.
Platinum Arts Sandbox 2.3 Download
• Hotkeys that make it easier to save games, add materials, and lots more!
• New in game help section that displays all of the binds/key commands!
• Snow has been tweaked and updated :) Be sure to check out the new version of house :D
• Maps now generate cfgs on save! Also many various map tweaks.
• New main menu theme! To try other themes check out the options menu.
• Loads of new textures and new player skins.
• Tons of under the hood bug fixes and features.
• Thanks to ZKAT of virtualdarkarts.net there is a brand new great looking launcher!
Platinum Arts Sandbox
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, January 2, 2009
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.