|Thursday, February 2, 2006|
QUAKE 4 Requirements Set
8:20 AM | Tuncer Deniz | 25 comments
The final system requirements for the upcoming shooter, QUAKE 4, have been finalized, according to a note from Aspyr Media this morning. The long-awaited sequel to QUAKE II, QUAKE 4 enlists gamers in the role of Matthew Kane, a member of the legendary Rhino Squad, to penetrate deep into the heart of the Strogg war machine and engage in a series of heroic missions to destroy the barbaric alien race.
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or laterQUAKE 4 is set to ship in March 2006 and is currently available for pre-order at Macgamestore.com
CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel chipset
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz or faster
Memory: 512 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 3 GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better*
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce 6600 or better*
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher
Media Required: DVD Drive
Multiplayer: Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. Internet
play requires broadband connection.
* Supported Video cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600, 6800, 7800, ATI Radeon 9600, 9650, 9700, 9800, X600, X800, X850, X1600
Buy Quake 4
IMG Reviews Minions of Mirth
10:06 AM | Tuncer Deniz | 6 comments
IMG has posted a review of Minions of Mirth by Prairie Games. Here's a clip form the review:
Prairie Games is a small company. MoM is perhaps a step above a shareware, but it isn't commercially distributed yet. I have played a number of shareware adventure and RPG games, and while they can be fun they often lack polished (or detailed) graphics and audio. Not so with Minions of Mirth. The avatar you use in the game, as well as the people and monsters you interact with, are all nicely rendered, and the environment was also quite stunning.To check out the entire review, follow the link below.
IMG Review: Minions of Mirth
Aspyr Game Agent 1.6 released
10:04 AM | Evan Holt | 1 comment
Aspry released Aspyr Game Agent version 1.6 which has added the following features:
• Aspyr Game Agent is now a Universal BinaryAspyr Game Agent allows users to easily match their computer hardware with the system requirements of Aspyr’s titles. It also allows you to see Aspry's entire library of games as well as the titles that will be available soon.
• Intel Imacs and MacBooks have been added to the configuration list
Aspyr Game Agent is a free download available from the link below.
Aspry Game Agent Download
Ventrilo Update Fixes Numerous Bugs
9:22 AM | Evan Holt | 3 comments
Version 2.3.2.Prototype.7 of Ventrilo for Mac was released which fixed numerous bugs including the 'crash when quit' bug for users in 10.4.
Ventrilo is similar to a Voice-Over-IP program that allows users to chat while in game with other users.
General:The 560KB download can be obtained from the link below.
Ventrilo for Mac
• Fixed program crash when closing the program that only occurred when running OSX 10.4 or higher but worked fine on 10.3.
• Corrected the Hotkey button not always working when Monitor/Test button was in use.
• Selection of the Output device is now functional.
• The Line Input slider for Sound Input device is now functional. Similar to the Windows client it will restore the Line Level to your specified value each time you connect to a server, but only if you select a specific output device (other then Default).
• Amplifiers should be fully functional now. Not sure if they were in Prototype.6 or not.
• Modified a lot of the controls to use a smaller font in order to conserve space.
• Modified User List window to cover the full width of the Ventrilo window in order to follow a more accepted standard window layout.
• Modified toolbar buttons to use square and attached buttons making them look more uniform. This will be changed again in a future version.
• Modified the popup menu to enable, disable and checkmark menu options depending on the context of the selected item.
• Moved User->Copy Comment to the Miscellaneous menu option similar to the 2.3.2 Windows client. This allows for coping user, channel and server comments to the clip board depending on the selected item.
• Added support for User->Mute.
• Added support for Server Admin->Login / Logout
• Added support for Server Admin->Server Properties
• Added support for Channel Admin->Login / Logout
• Added support for Channel Admin->Create
• Added support for Channel Admin->Delete
• Added support for Channel Admin->Edit
• Added support for Channel Admin->Info
• Now supports unique colors for each user. Colors are randomly assigned at this time.
• Modified display windows to cover full width of the Chat window in order to follow a more accepted standard window layout.
• Added full support for Server Properties window.
• MOTD can now be edited in addition to displayed.
• Fixed sample rate conversion problems where the person transmitting might sound like a chipmunk or as if they are talking REALLY SLOW.
• Fixed many other sound problems, but a few remain that still need to be addressed.
• Numerous internal miscellaneous bugs have been fixed.
• Configuration files are now stored in ~/Library/Preferences/Ventrilo instead of ~/ventrilo
RoboNuts Upgraded To Universal Binary
9:21 AM | Evan Holt | Comment on this story
RoboNuts by Wouldja Software was upgraded to Universal Binary recently. This puzzle game which is similar to the old shareware game Daleks, puts you in an arena surrounded by robots. Your goal is to move until all of the robots collide.
You can download the 700KB game from the link below. It requires 10.4 or higher. It costs $6.95 U.S. to register.
Wouldja Software: Robonuts
Burning Crusade Preview
8:26 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Blizzard Entertainment is offering a new preview for The Burning Crusade, the first expansion pack for the globe conquering World of Warcraft. The preview focuses on the Tower of Karazhan, once home to the powerful sorcerer Medivh. In addition to a variety of screenshots the preview offers a bit of background on the tower's history. Those seeking to enter the tower will need nine companions of 70th level and be prepared to face challenging new monsters and boss encounters in a quest for the dozens of new powerful items Karazhan has to offer.
Medivh, the Last Guardian, made his home in Deadwind, in the bright tower of Karazhan. Though he was the greatest wizard of his day (and humanity's intended custodian) Medivh was secretly possessed by the dark spirit of Sargeras, the Destroyer of Worlds. Through Medivh, Sargeras opened the Dark Portal and allowed the orcs to wage war upon the mortal kingdoms of Azeroth. To check out the new information click on over to the Burning Crusade site listed below.
Burning Crusade Preview
As the war progressed, Medivh fought against Sargeras' control. The raging conflict within him finally drove the wizard irrevocably insane. His childhood friend and the king's lieutenant-at-arms, Anduin Lothar, suspected the mage of treachery. With the aid of Medivh's young apprentice, Khadgar, Lothar stormed Karazhan and killed his one-time comrade. Since that day, a terrible curse has pervaded both the tower and the lands around it - casting a dark pall over Deadwind Pass and the region that is now known as Duskwood
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
Buy World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
Weather In World Of Warcraft
8:25 AM | Cord Kruse | 2 comments
OGaming has posted a collection of screenshots and movies featuring new weather effects from the upcoming 1.10 patch of Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft. Now players will be able to venture through rain and snow as they go about various tasks within WoW. Blizzard promises the new effects should have minimal impact on graphics performance.
To view all the new eye candy click the link below.
OGaming: WoW Weather
World of Warcraft
Buy World of Warcraft
Legion Arena Reviewed
8:21 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
The Gamers Temple recently posted a review of the PC version of Slitherine's role playing strategy game, Legion Arena. Choosing either Romans or Gauls players battle in over 100 scenarios using more than 20 unique units including Praetorians and Elephants. Gamers Temple gave Legion Arena a score of 75%, recommending it to any aspiring general looking for a quick battle offering strategic depth.
You can either take the simple approach of “line them up and rush”, a fast easy way to get the battle started, or you can take a little more difficult approach. The more difficult approach is, of course, recommended because it will (hopefully) reduce your casualties and maximize the number of kills. This approach involves taking a moment to review the battlefield, terrain, enemy units and characteristics of your squads. While positioning your units in Legion Arena you should pay particular attention to the terrain and make sure that the squads you are using are suited to the terrain they will be fighting on. Terrain plays a huge role in the combat calculations in the game, and it is quite possible that you will watch your prized squad of cavalry get handed their heads by lowly skirmishers on uneven ground in the forest.Freeverse Software is bringing Legion Arena to the Mac. For more information click the links below.
Gamers Temple: Legion Arena Review
Buy Legion Arena
The Sims 2 University Examined
8:21 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
A new review of The Sims 2: University is now available, this one from Applelinks. The college themed expansion to the popular Sims 2 game expands player options for manipulating the virtual lives of their favorite simulated humans. Sims entering college must balance social lives and school work, with the possibility of gaining a new profession not available to other Sims. Applelinks gave the expansion a rating of 3 out of 5.
But a swinging social life won't mean much if you get booted for low grades. You keep your grades up in several ways. One is, hey hey, by going to classes! Each semester, you're also assigned a set of personal skills you have to improve. The skills chosen can be arbitrary (first year drama students need to learn cooking? O- kay ...), but most of them will be focused towards getting your dream job: a career path ideal that you can pursue once you leave college. Want to push your grades into the stratosphere? Do assignments for class, and work on your gigantic Final Project, a job that'll take several sessions to complete. Suddenly you won't have so much time on your hands. To read the full review and learn more about the game follow the links below.
Applelinks: The Sims 2 University Review
Of course, if all this schoolwork is distracting you from what's really important (like that cute redhead down the hall), you could just persuade someone else to do the work for you. The more popular your Sim is, the more influence points they get, which can be used to give you limited control over computer-controlled Sims. You can get all Grease 2 and have a buddy write your term paper (you won't get caught, just like in real life), or you can Svengali them into interacting with you or other Sims however you choose. Mwa ha ha.
The Sims 2: University
Buy The Sims 2: University
Recent Mac Games News
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Monday, January 30, 2006
Friday, January 27, 2006
Thursday, January 26, 2006
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.