Aspyr Ships James Bond 007: Nightfire
9:14 AM | Tuncer Deniz | Comment on this story
Aspyr Media Inc. announced today that it has released the new James Bond 007:Nightfire game that offers a complete 007 experience filled with action-packed excitement and intrigue. The game is expected to be in online and retail stores on June 25th.
Here's more from the official press release:
James Bond 007: Nightfire features an original single player storyline borrowing from the 007 legacy that spans 40 years. As Bond, players operate in the snow capped Austrian Alps and outer space as well as underwater in the depths of the South Pacific to defeat the evil criminal mastermind Rafael Drake who is secretly bent on world domination. Players can maneuver the sleek Aston Martin V12 Vanquish through the streets of Tokyo while turning on the Bond charm with glamorous Bond women.If you're not familiar with the game, be sure to check out IMG's hands-on preview.
IMG Preview: James Bond 007: NightFire
James Bond 007:Nightfire features missions filled with fast-paced action and stealth, gorgeous women, exotic locales, and sophisticated spy gadgets that Bond fans have come to expect. The game also offers a large cast of villains and allies, both new and familiar to the Bond universe.
James Bond 007: NightFire
Buy James Bond 007: NightFire
One on One With Aspyr's Glenda Adams
12:47 PM | IMG News | Comment on this story
Inside Mac Games has posted the 21st part in an ongoing conversation between old friends Glenda Adams, Mac gaming goddess and Director of PC and Mac development at Aspyr, and Tuncer Deniz, publisher and editor-in-chief of IMG.
Here's a clip from the feature:
Tuncer: Well, first off, let's get to the big one. Battlefield 1942 recently went gold. How do you think it turned out?To check out the entire feature, please follow the link below.
One on One with Glenda Adams (Part 21)
Glenda: I'm very happy with it. We did a extremely thorough QA job on it, and had a very talented team of developers working on it in house. Other than a couple hiccups, the development went very smooth. We actually went to duplication 4 days ahead of the original schedule we set back in December, which is almost unheard of in the game business, even for ports. And we actually extended the beta period longer than all our other games, so it wasn't a case of cutting corners to get it out. This is a franchise we wanted to get right the first time, and I think we've done our best job to do that.
Freeverse to Showcase Bumpercar at NECC
10:36 AM | Galen Wiley | Comment on this story
Among the many developers attending this year's National Education and Computing Conference (NECC), Freeverse Software will be holding its own booth at the conference in New Orleans, showcasing the company's award-winning kids-oriented web browser, Bumpercar. From Freeverse News:
Freeverse be showing off their award winning web browser for kids, BumperCar (www.freeverse.com/bumpercar) at the Nathional Education and Computing Conference in New Orleans this week. (www.apple.com/education/necc/)Check out the official NECC website for registration information and more.
National Education and Computing Conference 2004
If you're in New Orleans, please stop by Booth 2552, say Hi and get a demo of BumperCar in action!
Freeverse at NECC
Take a Sneak Peak at Upcoming Mac Games
10:27 AM | Galen Wiley | Comment on this story
Mac gamers doubtful of the development of any quality Mac-original games may find a new article at Macintosh gaming site Mac Games and More interesting. The article spotlights six of the Mac's upcoming shareware hits, Kamaboko Bento, Super Elvis, Black Sheep Squadron Quizland, Derelict, and Katsu's Journey, and includes everything from general information about the games to even screenshots. Here's a brief introduction from the article:
Delve deep into the vast world of all that is (that's a lot), and you shall reap mega rewards in your discoveries! So, stop whining that there are NO Mac Games; I found some just for you. Okay, they are not yet available but never fear, they're on the horizon, at the end of the rainbow, a hop skip and a jump away, (your turn to fill in the next cliché)... You know what I mean. Having said that, though, no one seems to be able to pinpoint the exact dates of when these wonderful games will be released. Just check the developers' sites often and you'll find out when you can play! Maybe in the meantime, you can check out some of their other games.Check out the links below for more information.
New Mac Games
Frozen Throne Tournament at Clan Tournament
10:12 AM | Galen Wiley | Comment on this story
Players interested in showing off their skills in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne this summer may want to check out a newly announced tournament at Clan Tournament.
We have gotten everything in order, all the scripts are made, and all the prizes in place. Our first tournament is here. We decided to start off with a simple Warcraft III: TFT 3 vs 3 to get our feet wet.The tournament will be held on July 2nd. More information can be found at the links below.
TFT Tournament Information
To get everyone started let me walk you through the sign-up process. First thing is you must sign-up at the registration page. Once you are signed-up and your account has been activated you can login to our Members Area. Once there you can create a clan for you and your buddies complete with clan pages and news posting. From there you may fill out the Join a Tournament form and you will be entered into our tournament.
IMG Review: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne
Buy WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne
Aspyr Releases Call of Duty 1.4b2 Patch
9:43 AM | Galen Wiley | Comment on this story
Aspyr Media has released a second 1.4 beta patch to their hit WW2-inspired shooter, Call of Duty. The update allows Mac players to join multiplayer servers running version 1.4 of the game, previously available only on the PC, in addition to fixing some performance issues with ATI Radeon video cards. Here's a full list of changes from our sister site, Mac Game Files:
Since some people had problems with the installer from Beta 1, Beta 2 contains just the files and need to be drag and dropped into your Call of Duty folder.The update is available now for free via MacgameFiles.com. Check out the links below for more details.
IMG Review: Call of Duty
Call of Duty
Download Call of Duty 1.4b2
Buy Call of Duty
Warcraft III Ladders to be Updated
9:19 AM | Chris Stein | Comment on this story
A recent news post on Battle.net, details some of the upcoming changes to the ladder system of popular strategy game Warcraft III. Changes include modifications to some of the ladder requirements and the experience system.
Here's more from the post:
Improvements in Battle.net's ability to determine a player's true skill rating and ELL (expected ladder level).The update is expected to be launched on the beta server, Westfall, sometime this week.
Battle.net: Changes to Warcraft 3 Ladder
Separate player skill ratings for Solo, Team, and FFA play. A great solo player is not necessarily the best team player.
Buy WarCraft III
First World of Warcraft PvP Raid
9:19 AM | Galen Wiley | Comment on this story
Beta testers for Blizzard Entertainment's upcoming massive multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft experienced what would be the first of many player oriented battles last Friday night on the game's newly announced player versus player (PvP) server.
War erupted last night in the former kingdom of Lordaeron, with members of the Alliance staging one of the first attacks on the Horde city of Brill. The Horde repelled this attack, however, driving the Alliance back to Thelsamar, where the soldiers of the Alliance held the besieged city, defending the region of Dun Morogh from certain attack. Many valiant Horde and Alliance soldiers perished in battle last night in what is surely a prelude to the greatest war of our time.Blizzard has posted 14 exclusive screenshots of the battle on their website. For further media, a World of Warcraft beta tester has posted his own screenshots of the game on RpgForums.Net. Check out the links below for more details.
Raid on Brill Screenshot Gallery
RPGForums.Net - Battle of Tirisfal Shots
World of Warcraft
Buy World of Warcraft
Unreal Tournament v3236 Patch for Mac Released
9:14 AM | Mike Apps | Comment on this story
Unreal fans waiting for the latest patch to Unreal Tournament 2004 need to wait no longer. The patch makes a large number of fixes and changes to the game, from changes to game types to fixes to weapons. Here's some of the fixes in the patch:
Onslaught related:For more information or to download the patch, follow the links below.
UT2004 v3236 Patch for Mac
- Added bSmoothKarmaStateUpdates to Actor to control whether Karma interpolates between states
- Added bRepulseWater to KRepulsors and enabled this for Hovercraft
- Added bFlyingKarma to Pawn to indicate PHYS_Karma is active but pawn rotation should still be handled like PHYS_Flying
- SVehicleFactories now store a reference to their marker as MyMarker
- Added bCanHover to Vehicle to indicate a vehicle that can use HoverPathNodes to fly over water.
- Added water damage support to Vehicle so that vehicles will take damage when under water.
- Karma now collides correctly with inverted terrain - courtesy James Golding ;-)
- Increased the extra linear dampening for Karma in water from 0.8 to 2.5 and angular dampening from 0.1 to 0.4
- Moved RepulsorsShouldHit function to ONSVehicle where it should be.
- Added support for PowerCores and PowerNodes triggering events when created and destroyed.
- Cleaned up PowerCore energy beam effect when PowerCores are not present in the map.
- Added bDriverCannotLeaveVehicle flag in ONSVehicle for vehicles you can't get out of but instead will try to flip you upright when you press USE if the vehicle is flipped.
- Added bNeverActivate to ONSVehicleFactory that can be set by mods that want to use Onslaught maps but not factories.
- Fixed a bug in ONSWeapon that used the primary fire projectile class for alt-fire instead of the alt-fire version.
- Moved daredevil code server-side to avoid horrible cheating and the ability to mod/mutate features based on daredevil tricks.
- Reversable vehicle factories will work correctly when sides are swapped.
- Fixed midgame menu popping up when watching an Onslaught demo if the viewed player dies
- Fixed camera rotation being changed when switching between first and third person view in a manta
- Fixed target/ion painter ammo issues
- Fixed bug in stunt mutator where vehicles would be accelerated in their local downward Z when holding the jump warmup while in air.
- Onslaught turrets cannot damage PowerCores or PowerNodes
- Onslaught vehicles take a very small amount of damage over time when on fire and there is no driver
- Fixed players always spawning at own PowerCore after sides are swapped.
- Fixed problem where bots weren't spawning at the nodes they are defending.
General Game play:
- More script warning fixes
- Fixed armor loop in GameInfo.ReduceDamage() properly handling armor getting destroyed while absorbing damage
- Invasion monsters never use default character mesh
- Fixed CTFSquadAI.FindHidePathFor()
- Make sure always add armor using Pawn.AddShieldStrength()
- Fixed ShieldAbsorb() armor damage absorption to produce consistent results in all situations
- Fixed spawning of physicsvolume entry and exit actors, as well as splash sounds, and made them client side.
- Added WaterSplash, used for projectiles and pawns
- Added SplashEffect property and CheckForSplash() function to WeaponAttachment, so instant hit weapons can cause splashes
- Added BulletSplash, used for trace weapons
- Landing sounds no longer stomp on splash sounds
- Added WaterRing - spawned while pawn is walking in water, or center of pawn enters water (new PawnEntryActor property in PhysicsVolume)
- Fixed pawn visible rotation lagging too far behind actual rotation (because of head/torso twist support)
- Fixed bots going after nearby dropped inventory that they couldn't pick up
- Fixed some dynamic uploads (which could cause occasional hitching during gameplay)
- Fixed getting proper ammo count when picking up dropped weapon and already have ammo but no weapon of that type
- Fixed SquadLeader getting set to none if everyone in squad is in a turret
- HUD weapon bar bShowMissingWeaponInfo now config, so is properly saved
- Fixed CTFSquadAI finding flagholder when holder is in vehicle
- Fixed "Use Map Defaults" for bots can result in uneven teams in some maps
- [USE] will only bring up the mid-game menu in ONS games
- Fix for custom models crashing the single player game.
- Fixed TracerProjectile location setting after near miss sound effect
- Fixed BR bomb trail position in multiplayer
- Added Instagib CTF as standalone gametype
- Allow chatting when the game is paused.
- No longer catch own weapon when thrown while running forward
- Fixed weapons checking if they were out of ammo when they weren't the active weapon (which was causing undesired switching to best weapon)
Unreal Tournament 2004
MGF: Unreal Tournament 2004 3236
Buy Unreal Tournament 2004
Giga Designs Debuts 1.5 GHz Upgrade for G4 Cube
9:14 AM | Lucian Fong | Comment on this story
Giga Designs has added yet another product to their line of G4 processor upgrades. The new G-celerator M-series allows G4 Cube owners to accelerate their limited edition computers up to 1.5 GHz. This is made possible with Motorola's PowerPC 7457 chip, which is also found in Apple's PowerBook G4 and iBook G4 laptops. The chip consumes about 1/3 less power than previous G4 chips and it features double the L2 cache (512 KB).
The G-celerator M7 comes pre-tested at 1.4 GHz and 1.5 GHz. Both are expected to ship later this month with retail prices of $499 and $599, respectively. For more information, visit Giga Designs' website.
Recent Mac Games News
Thursday, June 17, 2004
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Tuesday, June 15, 2004
Monday, June 14, 2004
Friday, June 11, 2004
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.