EQMac SOE Recap: Mac EQ Support Coming?
8:01 AM | Andy Largent | Comment on this story
Better support, including a full-time programmer to address some lingering bugs, may soon be on the way for fans of the Mac version of the massively multiplayer online RPG Everquest.
As reported on Friday by IMG, the maintainer of the EQMac was able to attend a fansite conference over the weekend held by Sony. During this time, he was able to voice many concerns and suggestions regarding the Mac server.
In his write-up, "Khama" notes they are listening to the Mac fans of the game and want to help out with their current problems. Here's a clip from Khama's forum post about the conference:
Al'Kabor is not going away. John Smedley is committed to giving us the support we deserve. Currently SOE is in negotiations with a Macintosh developer in order to take care of the current bugs we are experiencing. Smedley is not ruling out releasing additional expansions as well. At least up to the new graphic engine release recently. The new graphic engine may pose some issues, not sure as of yet. Smedley will put together a statement for you all later this week, regarding this. While it's not yet an official statement from Sony on the matter, this is definitely better news for Mac fans of the game, as it was recently reported that Sony not be willing to fix the current problems Mac Everquest fans face.
We discussed the possibility of having an Al'Kabor guide program. While most guides are required to stay off their play server, Smedley agreed that we are a special case, and he would work out the details so that we could facilitate such a program.
For much more on the entire conference, be sure to head over and check out the full article. Also stay tuned to IMG for any new word on support from Sony.
Sony Summit Recap
IMG News: Sony Halts Development On Mac Everquest
IMG Reviews PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz (15 Inch)
1:20 PM | Tuncer Deniz | Comment on this story
Inside Mac Games has posted a review of the Powerbook G4 1.33 (15 inch) from Apple. Here's a clip from the review:
The latest lineup of PowerBooks from Apple definitely looks like an invitation to gamers on the road. With 1.33 to 1.5 GHz G4 processors, the new PowerBooks feature the fastest G4 processor in any Mac ever. And paired with ATI's Radeon 9700 Mobility graphics card in the 15” and 17” models, the PowerBook is surely enough for gaming.To check out the entire review, please follow the link below.
IMG Review: PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz (15 Inch)
PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz (15 inch)
Apple To Host Max OS X Game Discusson At WWDC
8:52 AM | Tuncer Deniz | Comment on this story
At this year's WWDC, set to kick off in San Francisco on June 28th, Apple will be holding a "Birds of a Feather Discussion" with some of the top developers in the industry. Join fellow games developers to discuss the development opportunities and the status of game technologies on Mac OS X. Share your ideas, issues, and experiences with the group and collaborate to determine top priorities for game development on Mac OS X today.
Speaker: Robert Marsa, CEO, Game Theory & Founder of Wolfpack Studios
Moderated by: Glenda Adams, Director of PC and Mac Development, Aspyr Media and Rob Barris, Senior Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment
For more information on the discussion and attending WWDC, please follow the link below.
Aspyr Offers Money Saving Tips
8:45 AM | Tuncer Deniz | Comment on this story
With the number of Aspyr games coming out from the Austin, TX based publisher this summer, they've asked us to post a few of their light-hearted money saving tips, so you'll have enough coin around to buy all their hot new games.
We’ve got a number of exciting titles coming out this summer, and it wouldn’t be fair for us to make you choose one over the other. We don’t want you to have to strain your budget to continue to enjoy Mac games. Because we at Aspyr strive to please our customers, and your happiness is our number one priority, we have come up with a list of money-saving tips. So, look over these ideas, some may work for you, and some may not, but have a great summer! Happy gaming!A special thanks to Amity Lesko and the gang at Aspyr for all the wondeful games. Keep'em coming.
Easy Money-Saving Tips
• Shave your head. Haircuts, not to mention the cost of hair maintenance, can put a dent in any budget.
• Do your shopping at Lost and Found. Need a new umbrella? Head to a large public library. Looking for a hat or baseball cap? Go to an amusement park. Just make sure that you “lost” something basic and easy to describe, and chances are, a nearby Lost and Found is holding one for you.
• Lower water bills. Your neighbor has a garden hose, right?
• Before you fall asleep, turn off all lights and unplug all electronics, including the clocks. Why waste the energy while you’re sleeping?
• Do some street performing. Everybody has a special skill. Perfect yours, and put on a show at a popular intersection.
• Get all of your teeth pulled. This shares the same logic as shaving your head – no more dental visits/bills, no toothbrush, no toothpaste, etc.
• One word, two syllables- Ramen. 10 for a dollar? Are you kidding? You'll never need to eat meat again.
• When on a date, always, ALWAYS pull the old, "Honey, I brought the wrong card... again," bit. When this becomes transparent, rely heavily on making out rather than going out. Win-win situation for everyone involved.
• Remember "Garbage Pail Kids" cards? We certainly do. Sell them. Now. This is the only way they can help you in any way during your adult life. What are you still doing sitting at your computer? There's a fan boy out there right now salivating at the mere thought of "Up Chuck.” Go, do.
• Learn to skate. Remember Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future? He was able to scoot all over Hill Valley with a skateboard and some crafting rear bumper maneuvering. Hitch rides everywhere.
• Whatever else you may do, DO NOT have a child. Parents out there, you know what we're talking about. It's odd, but all the games will start going to them. Here's the clincher, though. YOU'RE STILL PAYING FOR THEM.
• We would never ask you to cancel a good, old-fashioned summer trip. We will, however, ask that you limit your choice of destinations. There are certainly parts of your town that you’ve never fully explored. Grab some camping gear and pitch a tent in the middle of downtown or in front of a popular tourist destination. Think of all of great vacation pictures and unique stories you’ll be able to come away with!
• Limit all US calls to local calls. Preferably, within carrier pigeon range. You don't have to feed them, really. They'll eat left over tire and we all know it.
• Somebody say more credit card debt?
• Attend wedding receptions. These festive goldmines are essentially poorly guarded swank buffets. And during the summer months, folks be getting married every weekend-who cares if you weren’t invited. Free entertainment, free food, and all you have to do is wear your Dockers.
• Get a valet job and drive other people’s cars to do your necessary errands, like selling plasma.
• E-bay everything you have not used in the last 5 days. If you have not touched it in 5 days, you don’t need it.
• Bottle some water. For some reason, people buy lots and lots of bottled water. Sell that and get rich.
• Sleep in every other day. You’d be surprised on how much money you’ll save if you are asleep all of the time.
SimCity/Rush Hour Mac Requests
8:32 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
Glenda Adams of Aspyr has recently posed an inquiry in IMG's forums concerning SimCity 4 for the Mac. Partially in regards to the upcoming Rush Hour expansion, she is asking readers for their input regarding improvements and features they'd like to see in either title.
All of you Simcity 4 Mac fans out there- what are your top 3 wishes for improvements or features you'd like to see in Simcity 4 Mac or the upcoming Rush Hour expansion? I can't guarantee any requests will be implemented, but we're getting close to beta for Rush Hour and have a chance to improve/implement new Mac-specific features. Performance is an area we are already working on.For all SimCity fans who wished a tweak or feature had been added to SimCity 4, here's your chance to be heard.
Simcity 4/Rush Hour wish list
SimCity 4: Rush Hour
Buy SimCity 4
Buy SimCity 4: Rush Hour
Harry Potter Bundle Ships
8:01 AM | Eddie Park | Comment on this story
Perhaps in a nod to the recent released movie bearing the same namesake, Aspyr has announced that Harry Potter Deluxe Edition has shipped, and should be in stores nationwide by June 11th. Containing both Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as well as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, this bundle allows players to guide Harry through the first two volumes of his adventures.
Some of the included features:
The bundle is priced at $39.99, and is also available from Aspyr's online store.
Harry Potter Deluxe Edition
- Go deeper into Harry's world... explore rich environments from the Great Hall to the dark reaches of the Forbidden Forest.
- Battle evil creatures using all of Harry's abilities. Learn to fly on a broomstick and play fast-paced,arcade-style Quidditch.
- Uncover special items including the Invisibility Cloak, wizard sweets, potion ingredients, Chocolate Frog Famous Wizard Cards, and broomsticks.
- Take the flying car to Hogwarts and master new second-year spells, including Skurge, Diffindo, and Spongify.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Buy Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Buy Harry Potter
Recent Mac Games News
Friday, June 4, 2004
Thursday, June 3, 2004
Wednesday, June 2, 2004
Tuesday, June 1, 2004
Friday, May 28, 2004
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.