#41 tk648

tk648

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:59 AM

Ok, First I do not have a game pad
I am using a XboX S Controller
I have the HID Driver installed

Since when is an Xbox Controller S not a gamepad? Halo does not support any devices whatsoever except those that are keyboard- and mouse-compatible (trackball, trackpad, etc.), period. What part of that do you not understand?

What I don't understand, Is the smart A reply
towards a new board member, Since I am new to this whole
XboX thing I thought maybe some one here would be willing to help
So if the furture Mayhem, Please do not answer my posts unless you
can have a seville thing to say.

#42 tk648

tk648

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:07 AM

Now here is a copy of tha EBay auction where I bought my
cable to connect my s controller.  This is what lead me to beleive that
I could play Halo on my Mac using my XboX controller.

So now I seem to have an issue with the ebay seller
and I have a cable I cannot use.

(from Ebay auction)
We specialize in Xbox USB Adaptors.  We have a support team to help answer all your questions and any installation problems.  Buy from a source you can trust.   
DESCRIPTION:

Xbox HALO PC Adaptor.  The Xbox HALO PC Advantage.  Play HALO PC the way it's meant to be played, and the only way with your favorite Xbox Controller.  Hook any Xbox controller to your PC and play HALO PC or your favorite PC games.  A must have for all PC gamers.

FEATURES:

Connect Xbox controller to PC or Mac via USB
* Cable length approx. 1 meter for increased operating range
Supports all digital and analog controls
* Drivers are currently compatible with Windows NT/2000, ME and XP and Mac OS X

#43 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:08 AM

Ok, First I do not have a game pad
I am using a XboX S Controller
I have the HID Driver installed

Since when is an Xbox Controller S not a gamepad? Halo does not support any devices whatsoever except those that are keyboard- and mouse-compatible (trackball, trackpad, etc.), period. What part of that do you not understand?

What I don't understand, Is the smart A reply
towards a new board member, Since I am new to this whole
XboX thing I thought maybe some one here would be willing to help
So if the furture Mayhem, Please do not answer my posts unless you
can have a seville thing to say.

He did answer your question helpfully, THREE TIMES.  
and if he cant answer unless he has something to say about an older-model Cadillac, he isnt going to helping you any time soon...

On the other hand, i feel he was quite CIVIL with you, just exasperated (hope im not using words that are too big) that you dont have the spelling/reading comprehension to comprehend what he was telling you IN PLAIN ENGLISH.

thank you,
drive through

#44 d8thstar

d8thstar

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:38 PM

tk, no offense but in this string it's been noted three times that you can't play halo on the mac with a gamepad.  the ebay auction you listed clearly states that you can play halo on the PC with the pad.  it simply states that there is a driver for the mac but halo on the PC.

#45 tk648

tk648

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:56 PM

tk, no offense but in this string it's been noted three times that you can't play halo on the mac with a gamepad.  the ebay auction you listed clearly states that you can play halo on the PC with the pad.  it simply states that there is a driver for the mac but halo on the PC.

After posting that auction here, I re read it and I did notice that.

I should not be placing bids on auctions at 1:00 AM
after getting home from work.  
I had Halo for my PC but it did not like my graphics card
and told me so and since my PC is a POC I will not invest in a new graphics
card, Sold the Halo/PC game and bought it for my MAC

So there is no type of controller/joystick that can be used with halo
guess I am stuck with the keyboard/mouse

Thanks for your input      TK648

#46 Drexster

Drexster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 06:56 PM

I'm not sure if too many people know this but from reading the boards it seams as though every one thinks you need to buy an adaptor to connect your xbox controller to you mac, or usb port in general. Well this actualy isn't the case, you can make your own with the male end of a usb cable the first breakaway section of a xbox controller. The xbox uses standard usb for it's controller ports, and thus an adaptor can be fabricated with little effort... Just cut the two wires and the connect them together color for color, except for the yellow wire in the xpad cable. This wire isn't used yet as far as im concerned (you can all xbox games fine with it disconnected)
Now the only thing is you still need the HID Drivers which can be found here http://homepage.mac....iver/index.html[url]
Good Luck!!://http://homepage.mac.com/walisser/xb...l]
Good Luck!!

#47 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:28 PM

Are their any HID drivers for using a PSX controller?
I have the controller adapter by the way.
Thanks

#48 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:03 AM

Are their any HID drivers for using a PSX controller?

Any decent adapter is already USB HID compatible, thus no drivers needed.
Down with the Sickness

#49 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 05:29 PM

Well my adapter only has drivers for the PC (which suck since I can't use them on my mac)
I want to be able to use both analog sticks, but so far i can only use the one on the left in games like Quake and ST:EF.
I need help!

#50 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:57 PM

Great job wally.  I don't suppose could try to add support for the xbox live headset in a future update.  I would gladly pay another $5 for this feature.

#51 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:59 PM

I sometimes think I'm the only Mac user who likes the Xbox controller. Each to his own I guess.

Nope.  I may dislike Microsoft, but the Controller S is the best controller I've ever owned.

#52 crazybob

crazybob

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:50 AM

Well I'm getting a problem no one else seems to get. I'm running Panther and the XBox HID Install package doesn't seem to work at all. It runs and goes through all the steps, but the files in ~/Library/PrefPanes, /System/Extensions, etc never get created. The daemonlauncher gets placed in the Login Items but the application itself doesn't exist anywhere on the system.

[edit] I have verified that my xbox controller works.. I got it working on the PC and tested it with the PC drivers.

I tried compiling the source myself but got a ton of errors.

any ideas on how to get around this?

If someone could send me the files needed to run I'd really appreciate it :)

Here's what I need:
/System/Library/Extensions/DWXboxHIDDriver.kext
~/Library/Preferences/PreferencePanes/XboxHIDPrefsPane.prefPane
XboxHIDPrefsDaemonLauncher

[edit]I found a way around this. I looked at the installer log and saw that it was unable to copy a couple of files:

Feb  7 15:12:06 : mv: rename /tmp/XboxHIDPrefsPane.prefPane to /Users/bob/Library/PreferencePanes/XboxHIDPrefsPane.prefPane: Operation not permitted
Feb  7 15:12:06 : Moving daemon to ~/Library/PreferencePanes/XboxHIDPrefsPane.prefPane/Contents/Resources
Feb  7 15:12:06 : mv: rename /tmp/XboxHIDDaemonLauncher.app to /Users/bob/Library/PreferencePanes/XboxHIDPrefsPane.prefPane/Contents/Resources: Operation not permitted

so I copied these from /tmp and everything worked fine.

#53 Zarboz

Zarboz

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 05:13 PM

it says that the postscript cant INI and im mad someone have a fix? :evil:

#54 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:45 PM

Was that english?
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#55 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:49 AM

Don't use StuffIt Expander 8.0, I thought everyone had caught onto that by now... :roll:
Down with the Sickness

#56 truepop

truepop

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:07 PM

Hello, I'm a ltrftw,

I was just wonder since you're on the topic of microsoft controllers, does anyone remember the Dual Strike?

http://www.microsoft.../dualstrike.asp

Has anyone gotten this to work fully with the mac? I have one up in my attic somewhere and if someone could point me in the right direction as far as what extra software I will need or if it is even possible, I would appreciated it.

#57 Stone Soldier

Stone Soldier

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 04:40 AM

I think this project is a great idea. The Xbox controller is just great!

I want to know how hard it would be to add support for the memory card. I own an Xbox and would love to be able to backup my saves onto my Mac.  You could also use it as a kind of "Action Replay" as well.

#58 jonahlee

jonahlee

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:30 PM

I installed the 1.2 driver and am trying to Play Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo. I entered the Unreal 2003 information in my ini file, and set the rest of the buttons. For some reason I can only go forward. Other than that, the 2 joysticks don't seem to do anything expect that. Has anyone else gotten this to work with the XBOX S Controller?

#59 ichan

ichan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:13 PM

hey everyone...

i just made two xbox to usb cables for myself and they both work with the original european xbox joypad... i.e. "the massive one".

however, neither of the cables will work my controller S.

does the fact that the converter cables work with the original joypad automatically mean that the controller S SHOULD work?

i don't know where else to turn! please help.

yours,
iChan.

#60 ichan

ichan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:17 PM

I installed the 1.2 driver and am trying to Play Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo. I entered the Unreal 2003 information in my ini file, and set the rest of the buttons. For some reason I can only go forward. Other than that, the 2 joysticks don't seem to do anything expect that. Has anyone else gotten this to work with the XBOX S Controller?

no, the controller S does not work with either of the converter cables i made. (I made two)... I don't know what the reason is...

i tried changing the .plist file as well... bit I can't find the entry i need to change...

it's possibly because the poster who referred to the .plist was talking about an older version. I don't know!!! hope something gets sorted soon... because i actually think this is a great little driver and would be willing to pay more than the $5 asking price if it worked for me! ;)