Use Your Xbox Controller with Your Mac

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 dtp

dtp

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 02:22 AM

I sometimes think I'm the only Mac user who likes the Xbox controller. Each to his own I guess.

Nah, I like it...with my xbox.

Wouldn't use it for my mac.

#22 Lt.Page

Lt.Page

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:14 PM

I sometimes think I'm the only Mac user who likes the Xbox controller. Each to his own I guess.

i love the xbox controlller!  it kicks ass- most perfect gamepad ever.  and NOT that stupid little toy S thingie.  the real one- its awesome.  now, i said perfect "gamepad".  not saying that much.  ill stick to mouse and keyboard, but if i had to, id go buy one of those.
Do; or Do Not.  There is no try.
Pat yourself on the back if you know who Lt.Page is.

#23 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:38 AM

i love the xbox controlller!  it kicks ass- most perfect gamepad ever.  and NOT that stupid little toy S thingie.  the real one- its awesome.  now, i said perfect "gamepad".  not saying that much.  ill stick to mouse and keyboard, but if i had to, id go buy one of those.

No matter what size your hands, the 'S' is superior to the original in so many other ways size doesn't matter.[list]
Down with the Sickness

#24 Heorogar

Heorogar

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:30 PM

Greg I am with ya man..i love the big bulky xbox controller, because it fits in my hands perfectly....mmmmi can taste it now quake III and UT2K3 on a xbox controll type mmmmm fraging goodness

#25 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 10:09 PM

Xbox HID Driver 1.1 has been posted.  Let's hear some more feedback! =)
I live in Mexifornia.

#26 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 07:17 AM

Xbox HID Driver 1.1 has been posted.  Let's hear some more feedback! =)

Perfect, just perfect! During some quick Controller S testing I could yet again dish out Shoryuken, Hadoken and hurricane kicks with ease. Face-buttons are properly recognized and even the triggers works now though the read me says he didn't modify them, I guess the latest SNES9X build must have fixed that particular incompatibility. I am now in retro gaming bliss! :D

Again thanks a ton for the driver Darrell, I suppose I do owe you some donations now. I am very much looking forward to trying it out with Descent 3 once Duane releases an OS X beta...
Down with the Sickness

#27 wally

wally

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 06:12 PM

Hello all,

I'm currently nearing completion of a major update that adds a preference pane to customize how the controller works as well as a way to visualize the various elements. I'm looking for people (like you) who would be interested in testing this software before a general public release. Mostly, I am looking for feedback on what features you want that I may have missed. Any bug reports will be invaluable, of course.

The final release will be a 30-day demo after which some features will be disabled. I know most people using this software will have already dropped some cash on the adapter (and possibly controller), so it will be really cheap - perhaps in the $5 to $10 dollar range. I would accept donations, but considering the amount of work that has gone into this since 1.1 was released, I feel justified in requesting a small fee for past and future labors.

Oh, and the driver portion will still be open source, but I'll be keeping the preference pane and other components private.

If you would like to participate in this beta, please drop me an email so I know to send you a notice when it's ready (should be within a week).

In the meantime, you can check out this screenshot:

http://homepage.mac....iver/beta12.jpg

BTW, with this beta and a User.ini edit, you'll be able to play Unreal Tournament 2003 on your Mac with the Xbox controller ;-)

OK, since you asked, here is the User.ini edit. Note that the triggers won't work for the primary/secondary weapon without the beta, but you can move around and such with this:

JoyX=Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=32768.0 DeadZone=0.2
JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=32768.0 DeadZone=0.2 Invert=-1
JoyZ=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=1.0 DeadZone=0.2
JoyR=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=1.0 DeadZone=0.2 Invert=-1
JoyU=
JoyV=
JoySlider1=
JoySlider2=

Cheers,
Darrell

#28 renaud

renaud

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:40 AM

hi,

renaud from paris

wally, what you're doing is a brilliant idea for those who own such controllers, unfortunately i just bought a cordless usb rumblepad from logitech!
i've been searchin' for hours a way to use it properly on osx, and i still couldn't find any…
xgamepad support and xgamepad companion are not workin too well…
also there are not so much compatible games on mac at the moment…
logitech says that (no need drivers) it's the game developpers role to make  it work as long as it's naturally recognized trhu apple system profiler…poor answer…
if ever the logitech's gamepad could count as third party controllers accepted by xbox hid driver, yeah! that would be really great!

do ou think you could go threw a more general hid driver accepting almost all gamepads?

#29 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:44 AM

No offense Renaud, but you really don't seem to have a clue what you are talking about. The Xbox controller is not fully USB HID compliant, which is why it needs a driver to make it look like it is. All of Logitech's gamepads (including the Cordless RumblePad you bought) are USB HID compatible and thus a driver such as that for the Xbox controller is meaningless.

Logitech is correct in that it should fall on game-developers to implement support for the HID Manager in their games, if they don't they're just lazy and/or incompetent. If you run into a game from such a developer you will need USB Overdrive, GamePad Companion or a similar utility. And so will anyone using the Xbox HID driver as well, it does in no way let you bind keyboard equivalents to your gamepad buttons (yet at least).
Down with the Sickness

#30 renaud

renaud

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 07:01 AM

no offense at all ;-)

I was just thinking that there's more hope to get from independant driver developpers (like wally) than from game developpers who treat mac "the lazy way" as ou said…

now ok, i believe that i'll have to wait for mac users to be more gamers still logitech will defend their input hid controllers better at the door of game publishers…it can take long…i probably will re-sell my rumblepad before it works… :-(

thanks anyway for your answer :-)

#31 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 12:10 AM

I can't get the controller to work properly with the latest MacMame.

(I've sent Brad Oliver a few emails about this)

It has trouble recognizing the button presses in-game, although it works fine in MacMame's controller configuration screen.

This same problem happens with the RadioShack Playstation USB adapter.

My Gravis Gamepad Pro works fine with both emulators.

The Xbox USB and PSX USB work flawlessly in SNES 9x Custom.

btw - neither adapter works with UT 2003, but the Gravis does, somewhat.

P.S. - One minor complaint: the Xbox controller requires a powered USB port, I can't plug it into my keyboard like I can with the PSX adapter.  It has to go on the back of my Mac.

#32 tk648

tk648

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 10:59 AM

I have Halo on my mac
and cannot stand using the mouse and keyboard
while playing on line.
I have the adapter to hook up the xbox controller to the mac
I have the drivers installed
but the controller will not work  when I have halo running

can any body help a newbie

Thanks      Andrew    TK648

Ok  after reading some of the other posts
The reason my controller will not work is because it's an  S controller
which is the smaller one, and I need the bigger xbox controller
correct.   Please let me know If  I'm right

Thanks again  Andrew

#33 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

I have Halo on my mac
and cannot stand using the mouse and keyboard
while playing on line.
I have the adapter to hook up the xbox controller to the mac
I have the drivers installed
but the controller will not work  when I have halo running
That is because Halo does not support gamepads.

Ok  after reading some of the other posts
The reason my controller will not work is because it's an  S controller
which is the smaller one, and I need the bigger xbox controller
correct.   Please let me know If  I'm right

The drivers are fully compatible with the Controller S.
Down with the Sickness

#34 d8thstar

d8thstar

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 03:16 PM

hey all, i made a cable myself (really simple) but the utility doesn't see it, nothing plugged in?  any ideas?

thanks

#35 dac

dac

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1660 posts
  • Location:Deep within the Dac-Cave, under a resplendent mansion in Hertfordshire, England

Posted 08 January 2004 - 03:31 PM

hey all, i made a cable myself (really simple) but the utility doesn't see it, nothing plugged in?  any ideas?

thanks

Make sure you plug the controller into a fully-powered USB port.  If you've got a desktop Mac, plugging it into the keyboard won't do - it'll only work from one of the ports on the Mac itself.

#36 d8thstar

d8thstar

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:58 PM

thanks.  i have th 21" studio display with the 4 port hub on the side which is powered.  i'm stumped.  thanks though

#37 tk648

tk648

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:47 AM

Ok, First I do not have a game pad
I am using a XboX S Controller
I have the HID Driver installed
and all of the areas in that window respond
when I press the right trigger the green indicator lights up
and the same goes for all of the other buttons and the left  and right stick.

Now when I start Halo, none of the controls work no movement
nothing, and I am pluged into a powered USB hub.

When I go to setings in Halo
the controller setting is grayed out.

Can any body help

Thanks Again  Andrew

#38 d8thstar

d8thstar

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:14 AM

hey tk, halo does not support gamepads.

hey all, i have 1.2 of the app which says it supports the s type.  figured out my problem i asked above.  i plugged in the original xbox controller and it cam up.  i tried all three of my s types and none of them did.  tried plugged into my monitor and also directly into the mac.  maybe MS revised the pads internally?

any help is appreciated and thanks

#39 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:31 AM

Ok, First I do not have a game pad
I am using a XboX S Controller
I have the HID Driver installed

Since when is an Xbox Controller S not a gamepad? Halo does not support any devices whatsoever except those that are keyboard- and mouse-compatible (trackball, trackpad, etc.), period. What part of that do you not understand?
Down with the Sickness

#40 dac

dac

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1660 posts
  • Location:Deep within the Dac-Cave, under a resplendent mansion in Hertfordshire, England

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:53 AM

hey tk, halo does not support gamepads.

hey all, i have 1.2 of the app which says it supports the s type.  figured out my problem i asked above.  i plugged in the original xbox controller and it cam up.  i tried all three of my s types and none of them did.  tried plugged into my monitor and also directly into the mac.  maybe MS revised the pads internally?

any help is appreciated and thanks

Very strange.  I'm using a Controller S myself with v1.2 of the HID driver and it works just fine.