M-Audo Revolution 7.1 Feedback Thread, Part Deux!

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 05:15 PM

Since the first thread got borked somehow, I'm starting a new thread.  If you are still interested in the comments in the old thread, you can find them here.

The latest Revolution 7.1 drivers are version 1.2.5 and you can download them here.

The latest version of VLC player (the only media player that passes the DD/DTS signal to the digital out on the Revo) is 0.5.3, which you can download here.
I live in Mexifornia.

#2 Irish

Irish

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 07:30 PM

Installed the 1.2.4 driver this afternoon. Some improvements are noticeable in the interface at lest. The problem with the "Solo" funciton being switched around (mentined in my earlier post) seems to have been solved. The solo controls now work the way you would expect them to, that is, with solo selected the sound comes from just that speaker and with no solo's selected all speakers work! I tested the new drivers with VLC and again all seems to be well there. So, as far as analogue output is concerned everything seems to be ok at the moment.

Digital, on the other hand, is a huge disappointment to me. I was sure that this card was supposed to be able to send a multi-channel signal to my decoder via its digital output, so that all five speakers would work. That just does not happen. Unless I am actually playing a Dolby Digital coded DVD all I get is left right and sub when I chose the digital output settings in the sound System Preference and the m-audio application (speaker settings), the other three speakers are dead. Am I wrong in thinking this should be the case? Perhaps the IMG sound guy could help me out here?

#3 marcush

marcush

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:02 PM

I've looked at M-Audio's site and gone through the driver search but the results only show the 1.2.3 release. Where are they?

#4 Zenmaster

Zenmaster

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:42 PM

I won't rehash anything here, but you can see my posts about my experiences with the card.

1.2.4 doesn't fix any of the problems I've had. Audio still cuts out and generally acts bizarely on my PM G4 1.25 GHz. MDD tower.

M-Audio's support continues to be non-existant.

I'm thinking of selling my card on E-bay.

Anyone interested? ;-)

#5 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:50 PM

Sorry, you've got it all wrong.  Creative's support is non-existant.  M-Audio's support is growing.

Carry on.
I live in Mexifornia.

#6 Zenmaster

Zenmaster

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:20 PM

Sorry, you've got it all wrong.  Creative's support is non-existant.  M-Audio's support is growing.

Carry on.

To me, non-existant support is when they don't respond to your e-mails for ages and then when they do, they clearly have read what you told them and are providing you with cookie cutter "support" that doesn't apply to your situation.

In the end... my card is still useless and no one from M-Audio has given me any solid indication that they are looking into my problem.

Otherwise, the card continues to gather dust until M-Audio support "grows" enough to try and help me.

Cheers.

#7 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:23 PM

Zenmaster, have you ever bothered trying the old PCI magic trick (plugging the card into a different slot)?  Eugene mentioned in his post that this worked for him.

#8 Zenmaster

Zenmaster

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:34 PM

Zenmaster, have you ever bothered trying the old PCI magic trick (plugging the card into a different slot)?  Eugene mentioned in his post that this worked for him.

Thanks for the tip. I did actually try that... in fact, I was FORCED to try it since the REVO card doesn't fit into all the slots on my PM MDD tower (there is a small electronic part sticking up from the motherboard at the end of 2 of the PCI slots. This isn't a problem, as those typically fit in the space that most PCI boards have notched into them, the REVO's slot isn't wide enough). I tried it in every slot. No luck and no response from M-Audio other than to tell me it must be a problem with "Macintosh" since it works just great in their PCs.

Believe me, I WANT this to work, I wish it would work, and I'll be happy to help M-Audio diagnose the problem. However, if I have to wait too much longer, I will have to get rid of the card. Maybe I'll get lucky with the next M-Audio soundcard (if there ever is such a thing) or when I buy a new Mac.

#9 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:41 PM

Zenmaster, this thread is for discussion related to the M-Audio Revolution.  I appreciate your feedback, whether it's bad or good, but stop trying to sell your card here.  There is a Buy and Sell forum for a reason.  Please edit out all those comments from your posts.  Thanks.
I live in Mexifornia.

#10 Zenmaster

Zenmaster

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:06 PM

Zenmaster, this thread is for discussion related to the M-Audio Revolution.  I appreciate your feedback, whether it's bad or good, but stop trying to sell your card here.  There is a Buy and Sell forum for a reason.  Please edit out all those comments from your posts.  Thanks.

Funny how your tone changes... your initial response to my comments in the other thread was hardly "appreciative." ;-)

Still, you have a point about my comments. I've edited them.

#11 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:16 AM

No need for the sarcastic remarks.  If he can leave them in the other threads so can you :)  If he starts dishing them out, feel free to sling them back, but there's no need to ruin this thread's mojo by bring up the bad memories.

That sucks about your PCI slots.  I haven't heard many good things about the MDD cases.  In fact, I don't think I've heard any good things about them or the motherboard design.  The early models had issues with a few companies audio cards.  The CPU, which can get very hot, resides below the PCI slots.  Gee that's great...  Oooh, lets put the harddrive right next to the heat sink!  
I think the Quicksilver's motherboard design isn't too bad.  But considering what Apple wanted to do with the new cases (add the dual optical drive bays, cool very hot CPUs), I guess there wasn't much else that could have been done.

#12 Irish

Irish

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 07:33 AM

This is just not so. They have upgraded the Mac divers four times for the Revolution since the card was shipped in the US, which was no more than 5-6 weeks ago. That certainly does not look like their support is non-existant. I understand that you are only concerned with your own problem, but they have many computer configurations to deal with and I think they are doing their best to address the majority of show-stopping problems for most systems. I too, have some issues, especially on the digital output side, but I realise that some problems will take time to iron out. This company has shown more solid support for the Macintosh market in the few short weeks of the Revolution's life, than Creative Labs has shown in two years or more for the POS Soundblaster Mac! If you don't want your card, then by all means sell it. However, I would not be too quick to blame the card on all your problems, it seems to work reasonably well for most people's setup. If your PCI slots are screwed up on your Mac, how is that m-audio's fault in the first place?

#13 ThePsychoChiaPet

ThePsychoChiaPet

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 09:45 PM

I cannot get the Revolution to output sound above 48000 hz 24bit. I even got a kernal panic in iTunes when I applied it. I'm using the nifty midi/sound setup app included with 10.2 to set the output rate.
(edit: does anyone know what happened to the 1.2.4 update? It seems to have disappeared off the m-audio/midi-man pages and all the version tracker and apple links to it are broken. M-audio's site is also devoid of any mention of it.

#14 eGGz

eGGz

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:30 AM

I've looked at M-Audio's site and gone through the driver search but the results only show the 1.2.3 release. Where are they?

(edit: does anyone know what happened to the 1.2.4 update? It seems to have disappeared off the m-audio/midi-man pages and all the version tracker and apple links to it are broken. M-audio's site is also devoid of any mention of it.
Well, it is Sunday, March 2nd, 2003, 0:30 hr CST. Last I checked the file was not on their server like an hour ago. I went nuts, started looking for the file elsewhere, seeing if one of you might have it.

The file: OSX-Revolution_1.2.4.tgz in the directory: http://www.midiman.n...upport/drivers/ didn't appear when I either went to download it from the VersionTracker hyperlink or when I tried looking for it on the driver search page at M-Audio.com. However while I was writing this post with the bad news I tried the link http://midiman.com/s...ution_1.2.4.tgz and it started downloading!

I hope it stays up for all of you to download. Oddly enough, the file still does not appear in the aforementioned directory on the midiman.net server or on their driver search page. If the reliability keeps dropping on this file I'll upload it to my website, just post a reply to this post and I will see it in my email.

UPDATE: Figured out all the confusion!
M-Audio owns at least four domain names: m-audio.com midiman.com m-audio.net and midiman.net

ONLY the midiman.com web server (site?) contains BOTH the 1.2.4 driver update on their driver search page and also works directly from the URL I provided above.

If all this still confuses you or the file disappears from midiman.com go here:

http://eggz.net/down...ac_OS_X/system/

#15 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 01:20 AM

Hmm... Interesting.  I wonder why the drivers were removed.  I haven't had any major new issues with mine.

#16 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 01:32 AM

Hmm, odd, they're aren't up.

Lucian informed me that our units shipped so we'll be able to be more active in the discussions and feedback with the on going Revo threads.
the IMG audio guy...

#17 Bigc

Bigc

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:12 PM

I don't see any changes with 1.2.4, the sound volume is still squirrly (sound volume on the Rev card is different than in OS X) and have to reset the volume in OS X (had to put sound back in the menu bar). Sound dies below 1/2 volume. Can't really tell with Klipsch 4.1 speakers, sound volume from "Rear Speakers" is low  and have to manually lower front speakers to get noticeable volume from rears (using default 4.1 set up). Waiting on Klipsch 5.1 to try out. Playing through the Klipsch contoller, dont know how that effects things. Still playing with it, but nothing remarkable (not into DVD just playing MP3)

#18 Tom

Tom

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 01:25 PM

Which Mac-Game supports EAX etc. with the Revo?

Tom

#19 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 04:51 PM

None.  The m-audio stuff doesn't support EAX on the Mac.

#20 jasonivan

jasonivan

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 11:37 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to echo some of the statements from Lucian in the thread and (hopefully) provide a bit more info for all of you. Been trying to post for some time, but as noted, the other thread got "munged." Glad it finally worked...(I hope). Some comments:

- M-Audio does (and I specifically do) monitor this and other threads, so we're definitely interested in user feedback and support.

- We're sort of building this ship as we're going to sea, so bear with our tech support department and the rest of us. We're a small company that's rapidly expanding and improving. We've gotten 10s of thousands of hits on our consumer product web pages the last few weeks, FAR more than our usual site draw. We're staffing up to meet any areas that are lacking necessary resources. I think our tech support team is getting strained by the pre-sales calls and general volume.

- Likewise, our apologies for any bugs in the SW. Just realize how much new , and incredibly complex, technology is in this card and how well 99% of it "just works." Also, we've been really responsive to date in fixing issues. We've already posted a number of updates to our drivers (4 just for OS X since launch) and will have more. We're doing things never been done on the Mac before and finding not just our bugs, but other people's as we go forward. On that note, please realize that audio in Mac OS 9 is a challenge as it was somewhat problematic to begin with and Apple formally put OS 9 to death (on-stage coffin and all), so it's far easier to bump into audio OS limitations than on X. In general, constructive feedback helps. Telling us we suck and can't do anything right just makes us depressed :-)

- Note for Irish: There is no non-proprietary way to send multichannel audio over a digital cable. You have to use one of the encoded surround formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.). Even if we made up our own format, how would your decoder figure out what to do with it? Creative sometimes does proprietary "links" that connect their sound cards and speakers, but then you're locked into buying their speakers. Ahem.

- We've been actively working with the VLC folks to seed them with hardware and did a bunch of initial work on the AC3 part of the project as well, so it's fair to say we support the effort. I tried the latest version (0.5.2) on the VLC website (www.videolan.org) and Dolby Digital output works fine with Revolution. Try the latest version. There are a few bugs probably related to both our drivers and the player, but the player is an evolving open source, so it's important to watch for updates.

- Some items out of our control: We look forward to a digital-out enabled version of Apple's DVD Player like everyone else. We've tried working with the necessary parties to make sure QIII works with non-built in sound, but it sounds like something we can't control if this is an issue with ANY 3rd party sound card.

- Surround sound/positional game audio on the Mac is currently non-existant. Even if we supported Creative's proprietary EAX, I'm not sure if any modern (OS X-compatible) game supports this. We're talking to some of the major Mac game developers and want to do our part to help support a standard that works for game developers, consumers, and sound card mfgs. like us.

- I've asked our QA folks to look at the crackling/game issues in OS 9 reported by a few users.

- It's not Lucian's fault that IMG doesn't have a card. Our initial batch sold through so quickly our entire press allocation was eaten up :-(

- With all due respect to Zenmaster, we're definitely not just slapping a Mac logo on the box. This is really (no pun intended) a Revolutionary product for the Mac. Not only are we the ONLY vendor seriously taking on both consumer and pro audio for the Mac, but we're "pretending" we have stiff competition and are trying to offer a fully-featured product for both platforms (not always easy to do).  I think Revo does an amazing amount of things Mac right now. Not a complete list, but none have been done before (unless by us): Dolby Digital digital output, 24/192 audio output, 24/96 consumer recording, 107dB SNR, .003% THD, stereo-to-multichannel capability, CSII surround sound decode within Apple's DVD Player, 7.1 compatibility, theater-grade bass management, speaker testing, speaker delay adjustment capabilities. I could go on.  Not bad for $99.99. There's a reason it won "Best in Show" at MacWorld Expo. We're also working with game companies to help further gaming audio for the Mac so, while we think we're in great shape now, the future looks even more promising.

Hope this helps.

Jason