657 replies to this topic

#41 Firestarter

Firestarter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 02:12 PM

Are you saying that we need to find original PC-versions of this game? How on earth are we going to do that! The game is already relatively old and it might be even difficult to find a copy!

#42 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 02:15 PM

Are you saying that we need to find original PC-versions of this game? How on earth are we going to do that! The game is already relatively old and it might be even difficult to find a copy!
how else were you expecting to play them?

#43 PeterParker FX

PeterParker FX

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 02:26 PM

eBay!

steve

#44 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for working on this--I'd forgotten about the Freespace line, it always did look pretty neat, although not too directly related to Descent itself.

(Sounds like it's not the WHOLE game that's been freely released though, so most won't be able to play it. Maybe someone can be convinced to SELL FS2 for X though! Even via download.)

#45 tigital

tigital

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:29 PM

ok gang,

...before I get anymore deaththreats ;-), I'm going to put out a call for beta testers...I need about 10 people to do an initial test of the freespace2demo, and if that goes well, I'll put up the full builds for all four applications (freespace 1 and demo, freespace 2 and demo)...

...things that still aren't working:  streaming/looped sounds (ie. no ambient sounds, but explosions, engines, voices and guns are working!), and crossplatform networking (ie. we can ppc vs ppc but can't yet hook up to pc games or viceversa)...this last point is what I'm actively trying to work on, but I'm having troubles setting up a linux box to test against :-(

...so, send me a message via this forum, and we'll get going!

#46 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:19 PM

Count me and my TiBook in!  Err, how do you message?

#47 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:03 PM

hrmmm sounds like fun.  It be nice to play a decent space sim again :)  so i guess count me in :o
"Nothing here but us text"

#48 joker

joker

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:21 PM

please count me in!!  been lurking here for a while and would LOVE to play freespace 2 on my cinema display!!!!!!!!!!!!

also, I have a question...is this game now freeware??  can we copy the disc and distribute them?  I'm not advocating piracy, but if the code is now open source......

anyway, thanks for the all the effort!!  The mac community appreciates this!

#49 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:29 PM

The game is still available for purchase, so you must buy the PC game and extract the data files from the CD.
I live in Mexifornia.

#50 Enos Shenk

Enos Shenk

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:40 PM

This would own, but i dont have a joystick for my mac, just my old CH for my pc...

God i love freespace2, its like, #3 on my list of favorite games ever. Ive never had a game make me spill coke all over, i was taking a drink right as the last optional mission started...Well anyone whos played the game will know how THAT starts off...

#51 ayersrj

ayersrj

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:41 PM

I'm in like flynn and will hunt down a copy of FS IF my system can meet the requirements. *drumroll*. I'm running the iBook 900 with 640 mb of ram.. Desolate gaming territory for the mac, but I'm hoping that the port will run just fine.

Keep me posted.

#52 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:07 PM

I own Freespace 2 (Sci Fi Sim of the Year Edition) and I'd love to beta test the Mac version.

#53 joker

joker

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:19 AM

ayersrj
given the pc specs of the original (I think they were pretty low) I would assume a g3 900 w/640 ram should be able to handle it....I'm really curious how it will run on my 867 PB w/ 512 memory....hopefully we will here something soon!!!!!

#54 ayersrj

ayersrj

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:34 PM

i figured as much, but can never be too careful these days, after the travesty of the "System Requirements" for SimCity 4 anyhow.. :)

Freespace was pretty damn advanced for its time on the PC, I think I ran it on an K6-300 and it nicely filled the void that Wing Commander left when it decided to be a B-Rated movie as opposed to a space flight-sim.

I'm sure it'll fly on the PB. It's a good thing they juiced the VRAM in these new iBooks tho, that's for sure.

*drools in anticipation*

#55 joker

joker

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:02 PM

bump.....any updates on the beta test????

:)

#56 Enos Shenk

Enos Shenk

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:39 PM

I was at target today and snagged the freespace1/expansion bundle for 7 bucks. The only problem is it wont run on my damned crappy PC. It just crashes 5-30 seconds into the interface. Poo.

#57 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 06:06 PM

tigital just sent us the beta app.

It runs very, very well.  Smooth performance on my GeForce 3 / G4 867 mhz.  It still only runs in window mode, but it looks identical to the PC version.  Most of the missions can be completed and the scripting is working.

Joysticks work.

audio is still a little finicky.  Some sounds don't seem to play when they should, music isn't working (I'm not sure if it's because it's the demo version).  It also defaults to the Mac's internal audio chip even though my Revolution 7.1 is set as the sound output device.

It's looking quite good.  I hope to start testing the retail game soon.

Meanwhile, all you guys - go look for a copy of FS2 before it's released to the public!  :-)

#58 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 06:10 PM

tip for fellow beta testers:

Open the Freespace2Demo.ini file in a text editor and set the resolution to 1024x768

#59 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 09:08 PM

what fps are u getting?  and how much VRAM do u have?
"Nothing here but us text"

#60 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 11:45 PM

easily 60 or above, I can't tell exactly, though.

64 MB VRAM